Wheel off-set - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 08:04 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Wheel off-set

Hey, I've got a 2wd s10 with a 2" body lift and a 3.5" suspension lift. Right now, I'm running BFG 235/75/15's on 15x7 rims with stock backspacing. With my new verticle space I'd like to try and fit 31/10.50/15's under there. My current tires are right next to the frame at full crank. If I got a 15x8 wheel to fit the 31's, what's a safe backspacing that would clear the frame but still not be too rough on other parts. I don't mind the tires sticking out a little, I'll just get some fender flares. Also, I've got the 4.3L V6. Do you think I'll need to re-gear to 4.10's in order to turn the 31's? If you have any other ideas, I'm all ears!
-Just like to say I'd be completely lost without you guys! (thanks a lot!)

Heath Bringham
'92 Chevy S10 2WD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2000, 12:28 AM
Addict

Re: Wheel off-set

Get a Weld XP or some other wheel with no more than a 5.5 backspacing. That way they won't stick out either!!! The stock wheels are 6" rear and I have 31's on them on my reg truck and they rub just enough to buff the paint on the frame. An 8" x 5.5 rim will take away that sidewall bulge and move the tire away from the frame, but if you go with that 5.5 you can run the H*** out of it and they will never rub. Go with a 32x11.50 and the 4.10's too. The tire will fit, be $10 ea more, fill up the wells and not rub, and the 4.10's will be a monster with that tire. A 33 and 4.10's is the equivilent to 3.73's. So with 2wd you will have power and be running around a 3.90 ratio too. A real screamer. If you send me your addy I can send you a tire page and a wheel chart with photos and all. By the way, you can get 8,9, & 10 in that rim and the 10" only weighs 19 lbs too and an 8 around 15 lbs !!! Talk about frisbees for wheels!! A V6 like light wheels to pull !!!!!!!

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2000, 10:55 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

i've got wheel spacers on my 4wd. 1's on the front and 1 1/2's on the back. I'm going to sell the ones cause i want to move the 1.5's on the front and put 2's on the back. They work great and can hold a lot. I've had the truck loaded to the frame and they still worked no cracking or anything. They do where to ball joints though thats why i put napa's best on they have a lifetime warrenty on them. But if ya know anybody who wants to bye 2 one inch spacers let me know they fit S-10 axles i think they are 5 1/4 spacing on the lugs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2000, 11:35 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Diver, do you really think I'd be able to fit 32's with only a half inch less backspacing? Cause like I say, right now, my 235/75/15's touch the frame at full-turn. I don't see how only half an inch more of clearance off the frame is going to fit the much larger tires. Whether I can fit the 32's or not, I'd still like to go with 31's just to be safe and have plenty of room for travel. What do you think 4.1's will be like with 31's? thanks again-

Heath Bringham
'92 Chevy S10 2WD
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-02-2000, 12:03 AM
Addict

Okay what a minute, oops! I see you have a 2wd. Things may be different on your rims & stuff. I was thinking 4x4. Take a wheel off this weekend and measure the true backspacing of it and width. Since it's a 2by, chances are it's a 6" rim instead of a 7" like 4x4's. Then once you find out all that you can go from there a lot better. If you try to squeeze a big tire on a little rim, it will bow up and rub because of the backspacing and increaesed sidewall bulging to from making it fit on that small rim. Say a 31x10.50 HAS(and does) a 8.2" treadwidth. It will fit on a 7" rim but bulges out more than usual on the front and rear to rub stuff. Take that same tire with the SAME BACKSPACING and mount it on a 8-9" rim, then all that backside bulging is pulled away from the things it was rubbing. The tire sits straight up and down like a block and has no bugling and basically where the backspacing of the rim stops, the tire does too. If done right this way, bolting on a rim with the backspacing that you want would be like having the tire set exactly where it does. Even though you didn't move the backspacing at all. You just made the tire fit properly. A rule of thumb is the treadwidth SHOULD be mounted on that width of a wheel for maximum life, handling, and flotation. I read another article on the newstand tonight. I will go back to the bookstore tomorrow and tell you which one it is. YOU NEED to get it and it has illustrations and the proper way to measure all this. If you know what your doing you can make an awesome fit. HOW do you think these lowriders get these 17" 12" wide rims and huge tires under there without rubbing? They do the home work like I do. Tell you what, since you need help and I'll give it no-problem, e-mail me at [email protected] and I'll send you some stuff to better explain this to ya! Tom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode