Add-a-Leafs - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 07:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Add-a-Leafs

I just got my 3.5" suspension lift from Camburg installed on my 2wd and the rear is 1" lower than the front. The Fabtech shackles that came with the kit didn't pick it up enough. Does anyone have experience with Add-a-leaf kits? Is this something that is fairly easy to do and won't take a long time? I installed my body lift myself, but I don't know if I can tackle suspension parts. Also does installing an add-a-leaf kit affect the alignment of the vehicle? Thanks in advance-

Heath Bringham
'92 Chevy S10 2WD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-31-2000, 10:33 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Add-a-Leafs

If you were to go with a set of Trailmaster add-a-leafs, they are pretty easy to do just follow the instructions that come with it. But they give you more than the inch that you need, they will give you 2-2.5 inches. I don't know what the combination of shackle and add-a-leaf would do for your u-joints on your driveshaft however I only have experience with the leafs..... Add-a-leafs I thought were pretty straight forward if you follow the instructions. Good Luck

post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2000, 12:12 AM
Addict

Generally if you raise and lower a vehicle in the rear it will affect the angles of your spindle and throw it off some. I would have mine checked after all is said and done. And if you go with the leafs do away with the shackles if you need to to level it out, Tom

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 07:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Okay, if I had the same mechanic that put my lift on put some add-a-leaves on, would it be fine to leave the lift shackles? I am just wondering if I could put some Rough Country add-a-leaves on there that lift 1.5-2.5"? Tell me what you think of this. thanks

Heath Bringham
'92 Chevy S10 2WD
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 08:13 PM
Addict

I agree. Just like I said before. I wouldn't neccessarily run adda leafs and shackles together. Adda leafs rearch your spring considerably and I think it would be good for the spring to run shackles in that configuration too. Now a flip shackle is a whole different ballgame. You won't need both anyway. Tom

post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 08:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Diver, So you think I should pitch the lift shackles, and buy some add-a-leaves that pick up the back enough on their own. If this is the case, anybody want some lift shackles?!

Heath Bringham
'92 Chevy S10 2WD
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 08:36 PM
Addict

How much lift do you need? I wouldn't run shackles and adda leafs at the same time. If the shackles aren't doing the job, I see no choice but to go with adda leafs. How much rear lift did you need before you put on the shackles? Adda leafs will probably get you 2.5". If you needed around 4" and can get access to a welder and flat floor do a spring over. Then it's only your time. What did you do for the front to raise it?

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 09:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The front was lifted with A-arms and springs that came with the Camburg 3.5" suspension lift. They said the shackles would even out the back but they ended up 1" short. I'll call them and find out if the springs do a better job. I don't really want to take the time out to do a spring-over conversion.

Heath Bringham
'92 Chevy S10 2WD
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 09:28 PM
Addict

Okay, heres what you do. If you take off the shackles you will be at least 2" short right? And if you go with the adda leafs you should come up about right with no shackles. Call Camburg and tell them what's happened and see if they will give you credit for the shackles and send them back. I know you can get Pro Comps adda leafs at Summit for about $25 and they claim 1.5-2.5" depending on your app. If you have the addy for Trailmastr let me know okay? This is kinda Russian roulete too. If you do go with adda leafs you might be a lttle higher in the rear instead of level. That's why I suggested ProComps. Plus if they don't work SUmmit will take them back too. They don't claim 3" like other people do and that would be too much for you. I know if you want to come up then go for it. They are easy and you can do it in a couple hours in the driveway.

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-05-2000, 09:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Dont bother paying someone to install add-a-leaf's. They are simple to install (but the physical work is a #&[email protected]) I have had no previous suspension work experience on anything and installed a Skyjacker 2.5" with add-a-leafs for the rear of my fullsize. Youll also find doing the work your self much more gratifying. Its pretty simple, just take a look at the rear suspension and if you know how to turn a ratchet (and breaker bar) you should be able to figure it out. Hope this helps.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode