Tuneup - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 07:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tuneup

Folks:

Dont be offended by this most humble post, but I am a true rookie. I have an 1987 Blazer, 2.8, T10 4x4, 2dr. It is starting to run very sluggish, I am of the opinion I may need a complete tuneup.

My question is, what constitutes a really complete tuneup?..

Please list all items that may be relevant because I will be having a technician do this work. I want to have an idea what I am talking about.

Thanks mucho in advance.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 07:16 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Tuneup

<font color=blue>ok here i go and if i miss some thing some let him know
spark plugs
spark plugs wires
dis cap
dis roter
oil chinge
air filter
gas filter
that should be it. Maby a carb rebuild if needed and any thing els that the tech might find wrong that he can make money on fixing.
Latter
Diesel22

Jeff Henderson
Asst Webmaster @ s10-4x4.com
The best s10 4x4 web sight is http://www.s10-4x4.com
My home http://www.geocities.com/diesel22_us</font color=blue>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 09:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Start with what is above and let us know if that solves your problem. If not it could be time for an o2 sensor, timing adjustment, etc.

Also a can of Sea Foam to flush out injectors, and carbon build up. There are several different injector and engine cleaners, but I found Sea Foam really works the best.

Hit? Them tires rub. Rubbin's off roadin.
My web page
http://www.personal.psu.edu/bjh182
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 07:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Okay, I had the truck tuned up, it works like a new truck. Thanks much for your help. However, after the tuneup, the cruise control drops speed and there is no air blowing aout of the vent. Air comes from below, but not the vent. Both of these things worked before I took it to the shop. Before I go back and bitch at the today, can somebody tell me what might be wrong, I suspect Vacuum hose???.

Thanks

post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 03:24 PM

YES, exactly right! they left a vacuum line off![img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/frown.gif[/img] Somewhere? Probably right under the air cleaner.
(and you said you were a rookie[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img])
Dude, next time do it youself, I am sure you could have done it[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/smile.gif[/img] and YOU probably would not have left the line off.

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-14-2000, 04:06 PM

You might be able to trace the vacuum line they left off yourself... Get yourself a rubber hose and put one end by your ear and move the other end around the engine compartment and listen for a hissing sound...

Incidentally don't worry about posting questions here regardless of how "rookie" you think it may be, that's what this place is here for, the sharing of knowledge...

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

If you purchase yourself a "Haynes" or even better, the factory service manual (Haynes manual usually costs $10-15, and the factory manual is around $100 last time I heard), you will be able to do everything mentioned in the tuneup and more if you have a basic set of tools... You always have this BBS to post to if you run into a part that you're confused with or can't remember how something went on, the people here are quite helpful... That way if you do it yourself you can save some considerable $$$, although it may take a little time... Plus the satisfaction of knowing you did it yourself... But anyhow, I'm rambling... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/laugh.gif[/img]

Good to hear that it's running right again... [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

Tim
ORC Land Use columnist
My August article on ORC

http://www.off-road.com/land
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 12:01 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks again for your help.

I took back the truck because I felt they should know that they left the vacuum hose off. It took them all of 1 minute, I actually just sat in the truck while the guy took off the air filter cover and plugged in the hose. The cruise control and air vent now works like before.

Work that was done on the truck:

New front rotors
New recon. calipers
New semi-metallic pads
New serpentile belt
New distributor cap
New ignition rotor
Serviced back brakes
Replaced Idler arm
New fuel filter
Oil, Lube and filter
Rotation and balance
Front wheel alignment

Cost $1204.37 canadian dollars.

The truck runs beautifully now, lots more power and handles better. Still getting a clunking sound when I turn the steering wheel far left or far right, Any idea folks?.. oh, and my left turn indicator does not cancel, is this a DIY job for a rook.?....

Will start learning to do a lot of these things myself, the labour charge alone was $538 + tax. ouch!!!!

Thanks again.

David

post #8 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 12:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

No new plug wires?

Buy a Hayes manual for instructions on how to pull the steering wheel. It is not a diffucult job, but a tedious and time consuming one. Just be careful and pay very close attention on how you took it apart. I wish I could be of more help, but it's been 2 years since I pulled the column apart.

About the clunking, when does it do it?

Hit? Them tires rub. Rubbin's off roadin.
My web page
http://www.personal.psu.edu/bjh182
post #9 of (permalink) Old 09-15-2000, 01:25 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The current plug wires apparently was okay, I was told not to bother to change them. Saved a few bucks there.

Will pick up a manual tonight and give it a try. Have to get the part from the dealership.

The clunking sound happens when I brake hard or when driving very slow and make a hard left or right turn. From what I have read on the BBS, it might be a torsion bar mount.

Cheers

post #10 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2000, 03:51 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Going to try my first tune up think i can do it all but not sure on the plugs. I guess they just screw out and then back in but what is the spark plug gapper for? Do I need to tighten them a certian spec?? Sorry for the stupid ?'s just sick of paying the rediculas labor rates for everything. Also are the Dis cap and Dis roter hard to replace? Should this be done at each tune up?

1995 S10 Truck, 4X4, Ext. Cab, 4.3 Vortec V6, 31/10.5/15 BFG TA's, 3" Trailmaster Body Lift, Westin Side Bars.
Ryan Sharpe Denver, CO.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode