Serious questions - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 12:18 AM
BigAl

Serious questions

I am going to do some work on my '87 Jimmy 4X4 2.8L soon including the clutch, transmission and engine performance parts. I searched through the old posts but didn't find all the answers. Here's the deal....

First, I think it is time to replace the clutch (60K miles on it) because it is catching at the top of the pedal and may start slippin' soon.

Which clutch would be good? Performance? Heavy Duty? What are my options?

Second, I think it is time to replace the trans (130K miles on it) because it has a 5th gear synchro problem and possibly other problems abound in it. I heard it is cheaper and, of course, easier to just replace it instead of rebuilding it

It was suggested on a post by "355S-10" to use a NV3500 trans instead of the Warner 5sp. Are these the only trans available? What are the key differences?

Third, which TBI replacements can fit on the 2.8L engine? I know Holley has one for the 2.8L. Is it possible to use the ones by Holley that fit the larger engines without modifications? Or others not by Holley?

What I am trying to get at is that since I am going to replace the clutch and trans, I don't want to install something that will not be able to handle increases in horsepower or torque, if those become a factor later on (performance TBI, etc.).

In case this helps I am using LT235/75/15 tires, the engine is new and has only 50K miles on it, off-road & towing are involved. I also rebuilt the clutch slave cylinder recently.

Thanks in advance for any advice you have.

Al

'87 Jimmy 4X4 2.8L
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 02:00 AM

Re: Serious questions

OK, hopefully I can answer some of these...

The clutch: You have to make the choice, but Centerforce makes a good one, and believe it or not the stock one is pretty good as well!

The NV 3500 is going to have the wrong bolt patter, I THINK. Check it out. That's the one I have in my 1998 4x4 with the 4.3 liter. It's a good stout tranny.

The rest? Don't know, never had a 2.8. Sorry! But there are plenty of discussions about that 2.8 TBI I've already forgotten. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

J.R. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/cool.gif[/img]

http://members.xoom.com/desertride/index.htm
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 09:42 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm pretty sure the NV3500 was only behind the 4.3, so that wouldn't work.

The TBI: The Holley replacement is basically a TBI off the 4.3. You can put the 4.3 TBI on the 2.8. There is a good article on http://www.itog.com it's for a Trooper, but it gives a good idea on what you need to do.

Hit? Them tires rub. Rubbin's off roadin.
My web page
http://www.personal.psu.edu/bjh182
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 12:47 PM
BigAl

Where exactly is the article? I could not find it using the search nor other links. Please include a direct link or give directions.

I would rather not put on a used 4.3L TBI. Is a new one (GM, I guess) cheaper than the Holley? Or can you buy remanufactured/rebuilt ones? Where is the best place to purchase this? Does the Holley have more performance or is it just the name and is exactly like the 4.3L TBI? Maybe that article will answer all these questions.

Thanks....

Al

'87 Jimmy 4X4 2.8L
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-30-2000, 06:21 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img] Ooops, I ment discussion not article. [img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/blush.gif[/img] Check around their BBS.

Check your e-mail, I sent you some stuff that I nabbed from there.

Hit? Them tires rub. Rubbin's off roadin.
My web page
http://www.personal.psu.edu/bjh182
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode