Monster Turd!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 04:18 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Monster Turd!!!

Ok guys this ones for you guys who know where the name above comes from... We at S10-4x4.com have found out a bit of info you all may be interested in... In the Oct. issue of Peterson's 4Wheel & Offroad our trucks were refered to as Monster Turds!!! The Editors name is John Cappa, his e-mail address is [email protected] ... If you have read the article you now know how to get your thoughts to this guy, if you have not read it, make sure to take a look... His first response to us was as follows........ "So I hear you can't take a joke"... If you have any comments on this article send them to [email protected] as we have...

Thank's for your time guys...

Bad-Bowtie,
M.Hall
[email protected]
Senior Assistant Webmaster @ S10-4x4.com

Bad-Bowtie,
M.Hall
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 12:27 PM
TEX

Re: Monster Turd!!!

<font color=purple>For what it's worth, Cappa came to my event last August & did a really nice writeup (May of this year). He was very friendly & professional in person, but I haven't read the article you mention. Which one is it? Page? </font color=purple>

TEX

http://sites.netscape.net/gumboracing

post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 07:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

There is something that bothsides have missed. Mark and I don't have much left of the s-10 we started with. I agree that who ever came up with the 2.8 should have one crammed! You see there are big differences in the first and those on the lot now. The one thing I agree with from the first to the one just rolling off the line today is the front end is a joke. The fact that a 4.10 is the deepest thing to get in the front and the cv boot thing really is sick. I never understood where this came from. And the front disconnect is silly too. I feel that way about the same thing in the dodge and jeep. Where did this idea come from? Anyway, I can see the editors point and I can also see ours. We do have a stout frame, and smallenough size to run with a CJ if we can get the groundclearance. By the way, What does he drive?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-28-2000, 11:52 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I am friends with Mark and I see his side very well. How many people put Chevy 350 in a jeep as well. How good dose a stock jeep really do? Not that good. One of my old friends had a 86 cj7 and I pulled him out moer times that I can count with my stock S10. No stock truck dose good off road or there would be no need for lifts and mods. I have ask Mr cappa to come to Colorado (and put up or shut up) for a shoot out.
Jeff Henderson
Asst. Webmaster @ s10-4x4.com

Diesel22

The best s10 4x4 web sight is http://www.s10-4x4.com
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 12:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Tex,
The article is in the October issue of Peterson's 4Wheel & Offroad pg.124... I have read numerous article by him and this one really got to me as well as many others... Why you ask, because he singled the S10 out of every 4wd known to call a Monster Turd... There are many 4wd's I can think of that are much more trouble prone or much less buildable... He picked GM's 2.8 as a POS when in reality Ford had a 2.8 just as bad not to mention Jeep also had one at one time... He picked on GM's IFS and no-one elses... To top it off he insulted every S10 owner by asking if an S10 was even a real 4x4 followed by a picture of a 2wd Blazer... Am I mad because he picked out a few bad points of the 18+ year models of the S10s, no, I am Mad because he failed to mention there are many worse vehicles out there than an S-Series vehicle... Why name any one vehicle when in reality every vehicle has its flaws through the years... It's totally unfair to judge a vehicle by its worst points in history... To point to one vehicle and say simply that its a Turd is just beyond my grasp of being an editor...

Most people know me because of the Bad-Bowtie, the Burgundy Solid axle 383, 38 inch tire truck... What most people don't know is I own three of these vehicle not one... I own the big truck yes, I also own a daily driven Baby-Blazer equiped with 3in. lift, 31s, and 350... Other than that its bone stock... I don't have any problems with this truck what-so-ever... I also have a Big Block project 4x4 with around 1000 h.p... (The last one is still in the making stages...) Overall these trucks are pretty reliable with a few flaws in the early years as with any vehicle, I do not deny that, but I don't think they are a turd either...
Jeff,
You know me personally face to face and you know I will be the first one to tell you how much an S10 will handle before breaking... These trucks are pretty well built and concidering you can buy a used early model for under 2000 and add another 2000 and end up with a solid truck for any type of wheeling, who's to argue the point...

Bottom line,
Why should any editor call anyones vehicle names without having proof there is no worse or better to be had... I have owned my fair share of 4x4s and still do (5 at the moment)... I just don't see why he would call a vehicle that is just a capable offroad as most any other these days stock, has just as many aftermarket parts out there as most others, and is loved by so many a Turd...

Thank's for the input guys...

Bad-Bowtie,
M.Hall
Senior Assistant Webmaster @ S10-4x4.com
[email protected]

Bad-Bowtie,
M.Hall
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 01:50 AM
Addict

Give 'EM H*** Mark. If this vehicle is such a turd, then why haven't they scapped it years ago? I'd say 19 yrs old and going with the new designed Trailblazer with the inline 6 is just the beginning of the evo of S Series trucks. H*** we'll have 3 types then!!! And you should have heard the crap Motor Trend said Sunday on the Explorers!!!! They dogged them bad. Said it has been nothing but PLAGUED with terrible handling problems since the start and Ford came up with a new smaller 4x4 this year. And the Gov't has ordered Ford to redo the design of those Explorer trash trucks too. I cringe every time I'm on the interstate and have to pass one. I'm afraid it's going to lose a front axle(which I've seen recently on a new one), or a tire, or just sway into me!!! I've got an 89 S-15 and a 99 ZR2, and had a 97 ZR2. He should dog one of these beasts until he owns one!!! What about the write up on the new Toyota Tundra? It's getting bad reviews now too. They have a quote 4x4 package that's not much more than a dual exhaust and stickers and adds $5000 to the sticker. All trucks are plagued with some problem or another, Tom

post #7 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 02:23 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I watched Larry Ragland run that strait 6 in a GMC Envoy up Pike's Peak this year, and all i can say is wow........
The race version of that engine is sweet.......
He was just screaming it, and he ended up with the fastest time this year.

I remeber reading in one of they're magazine's how 4Xer need to stick together instead of dogging on other's choice of rigs........
I personally believe it really doesn't matter what you drive (to an extent, i'm not taking about taking a mini cooper rock crawling), but the skill of the driver. I think alot of people put way too much weight in tire size, HP, and other things when they need to learn to drive better.

Get Dirty!!!
post #8 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 04:25 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

This has ben a growing topic for today. I am still pi**ed about it. I have ben back to this sight 6 time today just to see what you all are saying about it. The best part is the one of Petersen's other mag's Four Wheeler July 2000 issue did 4 or 5 page spred on a solid swap of a s10. And then a few mag's latter in Petersen's just rip the S10 apart. What kind of Penske reject would print a page like that any ways............... (Just how I feel)
Jeff Henderson

post #9 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 05:26 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Here is part of the page that we are all mad about if you have not seen it all ready.[img]/wwwthreads_images/icons/mad.gif[/img]

Jeff Henderson
Asst Webmaster @ s10-4x4.com
My home http://www.geocities.com/diesel22_us
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 17-201213-Can't.JPG (37.5 KB, 10 views)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 08-29-2000, 09:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hey Mark. This and 75454cid is me Greg P. I noticed the Word turd was their favorite word in that issue. I agree that trucks are built not bought. However there are aspects of the s-10 that show they were designed as grocery getters. My front end is still togather but I just don't like the thorsen bars hanging out from the protection of the frame with a lift. I can't complain about mine at all. I was worried about Tellico to be quite frank. The front is a problem. I have yet to find someone with a lock right in the front. That is just one issue but Even if the entire thing was a lemon I think the wording of the entire issue should be looked at. Don't call anyones ride a turd unless it is yours.
Greg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode