Chev S10 not my friend right now - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2010, 11:37 AM Thread Starter

Chev S10 not my friend right now

So i posted a thread on here a while back about the 4x4 on my 2003 chev s10 pickup. Basically the 4x4 works but when you go to engague the 4x4 it dosnt seem to in! I press the button and the light stays nice and solid no flashing and you can here the clicking like it wants to go in but it wont. It will if you give it some gas and then it will make a loud grind noice and then a huge click will happen and will go in. So this weekend I tryed to look more into this problem. I first started with the vaccume and cable under the battery tray! The vaccume is working I can watch it suck in and out, but there is not alot of pressure there really, like possibly not enough to push that cable. I can move the cable with a pair of pliers attached to the end and I can pull on it and push it back in etc..(wold this cable be seized up possibly?) Now I went to pull that cable out that goes to the gear box right by the oil pan there and I got it unscrewed but when I went to pull on it, it would not come out! There is a little triangular bracket that this screws into does that have to come off?????? Any help with this would be appriciated. Have i started in the right place??????? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2010, 09:46 PM
Journeyman

I believe the culprict is the actuator, the push button 4x4's had that problem.

I need a bigger engine!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2010, 01:12 PM Thread Starter

by actuator do you mean vaccume or that motor thing on the gear box
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-07-2010, 10:07 PM
Journeyman

Sorry for such a late reply, I haven't been on here that much anymore. If it's a push button 4x4 it has no vacuum port like the lever actuated 4x4's. But the actual electric motor that is used to engage 4WD on the electric push button 4x4's. It may be the cable that is binding, because it may be kinked and not have enough slack; but ultimately I believe the culprict is the actual electric motor that engages 4WD, either way you should have a shop check it out just to be sure!!. Late.

I need a bigger engine!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2010, 08:35 AM Thread Starter

it is a push button by the way. but yeha i have heard from some one that those electric motors could be the problem and they usually are apparently! Thanks for the input. I am going to start to get some parts! I am gonna start with a new cable and actuator which will be about $200 and then if no luck i will go get the motor!
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-12-2010, 03:50 PM
Journeyman

No problem, man that's why we're here. Glad I could shed some light on the situation!!. Yes, the electronic motors were prone to failure, I don't know why I didn't mention that previously!!. Let me know what develops, and hope you get it working properly!. Late.

I need a bigger engine!
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-27-2010, 03:41 AM
Can't Get Enough

Have you heard of this? 4x4 Posi-Lok - 4WD Engagement Systems

It eliminates the vacuum or electrical engagement system in the front differential. This could be what you need to solve your problems for good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode