Help with a 1999 Jimmmy - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 03:06 PM Thread Starter

Help with a 1999 Jimmmy

Hi, i just bought a '99 Jimmy SLE and was wondering what the biggest tire i could fit on it stock? maybe a 31? Also i've been looking around and was wondering if anybody had any suggestions on how i could go about starting to lift this thing up a couple inches, but nothing major since it will mainly be a daily driver. Also, what other modifications should i be looking into, im still kinda new to all this

Last edited by rmdtopskier; 07-14-2009 at 03:09 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 10:32 PM
Journeyman

Thumbs up Jimmy Help

It depends, what are we talking about here....2 or 4 wheel drive?. If it's a 2 wheel drive you can fit up to a 29" tire, a 4x4 can easily fit a 30"; you can add an inch (2 wheel drive 30"-4 wheel drive 31") if you pound on the wheelwheels with a big hammer (this is keeping the stock 15" wheels). If it's primarily going to be street driven you could add a 2" or 3" body lift which will not affect anything, however, it still allows you to upgrade your tire size for the increased stance. Additions would be BF Goodrich tires all terrain for street driving, a throttle body spacer (airaid), intake system (aem), headers and exhaust (jba), mass airflow sensor (granatelli motorsports) this will give you an increase in horsepower and torque while still giving good fuel economy (you may gain some mileage).
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 03:05 PM Thread Starter

yea, its 4-wheel drive, and thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 07:00 PM
Journeyman

Thumbs up Suspension Lift Options

Anytime...however, if you want to lift it, you could add a suspension lift. Any suspension lift for these vehicles will involve drop brackets for the front lift and the rear will involve a spring over axle leaf spring setup. The companies that make the lifts are the following:
--Superlift Suspension Company - has a 6 inch suspension lift kit
--BDS Suspension Company - has a 6 inch suspension lift kit
--Trailmaster Suspension Company - has a 5 inch suspension lift kit
....I believe there are a couple more, however, off the top of my head those are the companies I could think of at this current time, I'll go ahead and double check just to make sure & I'll post again at a later date to confirm.
***MODIFYING THE SUSPENSION WITH THE ADDITION OF A LIFT AND BIGGER TIRES WILL ADD WEIGHT, DECREASE MILEAGE & CAUSE PREMATURE WEAR OF THE SUSPENSION AND STEERING COMPONENTS***
I would recommend that you add polyurethane suspension bushings, because they last longer than stock. A suspension lift will require new shocks, and modifications of the intermediate pipe (y-pipe), a body lift does not need any mods and longer shocks are not mandatory. If you want any more help or information drop me a line. Late.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-05-2010, 01:43 AM
ema

Quote:
Originally Posted by blowns10 View Post
Anytime...however, if you want to lift it, you could add a suspension lift. Any suspension lift for these vehicles will involve drop brackets for the front lift and the rear will involve a spring over axle leaf spring setup. The companies that make the lifts are the following:
--Superlift Suspension Company - has a 6 inch suspension lift kit
--BDS Suspension Company - has a 6 inch suspension lift kit
--Trailmaster Suspension Company - has a 5 inch suspension lift kit
....I believe there are a couple more, however, off the top of my head those are the companies I could think of at this current time, I'll go ahead and double check just to make sure & I'll post again at a later date to confirm.
***MODIFYING THE SUSPENSION WITH THE ADDITION OF A LIFT AND BIGGER TIRES WILL ADD WEIGHT, DECREASE MILEAGE & CAUSE PREMATURE WEAR OF THE SUSPENSION AND STEERING COMPONENTS***
I would recommend that you add polyurethane suspension bushings, because they last longer than stock. A suspension lift will require new shocks, and modifications of the intermediate pipe (y-pipe), a body lift does not need any mods and longer shocks are not mandatory. If you want any more help or information drop me a line. Late.
Blowns10, I apologize by I don't think it is always necessary to modify your intermediate pipe upon upgrade of your suspension lift. I believe if your y-pipe can already accommodate the lift, I think it's already enough.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 02-07-2010, 01:03 AM
Journeyman

Lightbulb Y pipe mods

Ema, no need to apologize. Not all people have the same views or comments, some may agree yet others may disagree.....

Yes you are correct, if the lift does not need a y-pipe modification, you don't need to do anything, however, some lift kits require the modification of the y-pipe in order to accomodate the lift kit.

For example, the Trailmaster 5 inch suspension system for the s-series, specifically, the 88-95 models with the 4.3 liter V6 engine, adding the trailmaster kit REQUIRES the modification of the y-pipe...and it just so happens that trailmaster manufactures a replacement y-pipe for that particular application. The 2.8 V6 also requires the y-pipe modification, but you need to have someone cut and reweld the y-pipe to clear the driveshaft, if I remember correctly, but regardless, the point I was trying to make was that with SOME kits, you need to modify your y-pipe (IE. re-route it). This is talking about a 4x4 of course, a 2 wheel drive does not require any y-pipe modifications!!.

Besides that, we are all here to comment and inform, we are here for our fellow wheelers who may need help, guidance, or suggestions; the fact of the matter is, we all want to help each other out. Late.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode