2005 GMC Jimmy upgrade help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-03-2009, 06:18 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation 2005 GMC Jimmy upgrade help

Hey guys! im new to this and the offroad communite.. i live in med western ontario and offraoding has really takin off with my generation.. there are a few guys out there that have the full rig but im just starting out.... I bought a 2005 GMC 2door jimmy this fall(unfountinatly not the ZR2 series but i got a good deal on it) and have takin it to the trails a quite a few times and only been stuck a handfull of times (mostly due to my stock tires)... but to the point, i was wondering if anyone could give me some suggestions on upgrades i should be looking into to make my jimmy for durable and better on the trails... i know i need better tires but first comes the lift... anyone know were i can shop for a good lift online? its hard to find one that matches up to my modle bc 2005 was only realeased in canada and only in 2door and the last year of the jimmys.... any advise on jimmys or blazers period would be great.... thanks again guys, iv really enjoyed reading up on some of your projects. hopefully mine will work out good...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-19-2009, 05:07 PM
Journeyman

Thumbs up Jimmy Help

What's up?, as far as tires goes, the BF Goodrich would be a good start!. You can upgrade the stock tire size to BFG all terrains for street oriented driving or to mud terrains if you go off road a lot; you could also fit a 30" tire on the stock vehicle, but it may rub. If all your looking for is added clearance you can add a 2" or 3" body lift from performance accessories. If you need or want a suspension lift there are a couple of options:
--Superlift Suspension Company - makes a 6" lift kit (33" tires)
--Trailmaster Suspension Company - makes a 5" lift kit (31" tires)
**these kits will require cutting and modifying of the stock components, so make sure this is what you really want to do. The kits should fit your Jimmy because the suspension design of the Chevrolet Blazer & GMC Jimmy is the same. The kits mentioned are for a 4x4 Jimmy, have fun!!. Take a look at the top post that I replied to it also has some more information which may be beneficial to you.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-05-2009, 03:49 PM Thread Starter

i have already looked into a 2inch body lift... i have reasearched and anything under 3inchs (suspension or body) should not have many modifications done....i would rather go suspension but its hard to find one online for a 2005(2door only for canada).... i really dont want to go over 3inches bc the jimmy platform is already top heavy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-08-2009, 01:39 AM
Journeyman

Thumbs up Jimmy Help

Ok, well it's great that you know what you want and that you have done some research!!. So what you want is primarily a suspension lift and not a body lift, correct?. If you want a suspension lift here are some options:
--Trailmaster Suspension Company makes a 1.5" torsion bar lift kit = it comes with new front torsion bar adjuster keys, however it does not include anything to level out the rear (you could purchase 1" add a leaves & 1" shackles for an even 2" of rear lift from the Superlift Suspension Company). Longer shocks are not required, you can reuse your originals.
--Daystar Suspension Company makes a 1.5" torsion bar & 1.5" shackle lift = it comes with new front torsion bar adjuster keys and rear lift shackles. Longer shocks are not required, you can reuse the originals.
--Superlift Suspension Company makes a 2" torsion bar lift kit = it comes with new front torsion bar adjuster keys, front upper control arms only, and with either 1" rear shackles or 1" add a leaves (only 1 choice in kit) if you want to level it out you need to buy the other.....EXAMPLE you buy the kit front t-bar keys, upper control arms & rear add a leaves (COME IN KIT) AS AN OPTION YOU CAN BUY THE REAR 1" LIFT SHACKLES, ALSO SHOCKS ARE AN OPTION, although they are not required, you can reuse your originals.
***THIS KIT IS NO GOOD, BECAUSE IT PREMATURELY WEARS OUT THE SUSPENSION AND STEERING COMPONENTS A LOT FASTER THAN NORMAL!!.

All three kits are the only ones that I am aware of which are curently available, with any of them you should be able to clear 31x10.50R15 tires on the stock wheels without any problems other than some mild rubbing at full lock (when you turn the steering wheel competely to the left or right). In any case I suggest you consult the manufacturer for more information on your particular application, because the majority of these kits are "designed" for a specific model year EX. 1984-2003, but like I said there is no difference between the suspension from 1984 to 2005 it's virtually the same, except for some minor differences. Also you should think about adding polyurethane bushings to the suspension if you add a lift (Energy Suspension) Have Fun!
....Rancho Suspension Company USED to manufacture a 3" lift kit, although it was primarily directed towards the s10 pickup it also fit the s10 blazer, however, IT IS NO LONGER AVAILABLE, which is too bad because that is the best kit for the s-series!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode