tranny ??? need help badly!!! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-20-2006, 08:41 PM Thread Starter

tranny ??? need help badly!!!

hey all, i am in a bad spot and i need to know what years will inter-change with my wifes o1 s-10 blazer auto tranny 4x4, the trans is shot an i have found a 96 with the 4.3 in it as well just wondering if they will inter-change???
Thank you for any help!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 06:47 AM
Old Hand

Re: tranny ??? need help badly!!!

if the motors are the same, both 4.3, and all the plugs look the same, they should swap over. both motor's have to be vortec motors for the swap to work. i'm not sure exactly which year trucks had those motors.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-21-2006, 05:08 PM

Any 4x4 tranny from a S10-Blazer '93 and up will be a direct swap.

You could also use any 4L60E 4x4 tranny from any fullsize truck, even if it is bolted up to a V8. Basically '93 and up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

cool thanks guys!!!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-02-2006, 10:35 AM

I would actually try to find a 4L60e from a v8 4x4. Also put an aftermarket tranny cooler on it. These trannys are known for failure. Mine went w/ only 74,xxx on it.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2006, 12:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I would actually try to find a 4L60e from a v8 4x4. Also put an aftermarket tranny cooler on it. These trannys are known for failure. Mine went w/ only 74,xxx on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

In my opinion....
Tranny cooler is good advice. V8 not a bad idea, becuase it has more clutch packs and might have a better planetary gear. Those changes make the V8 version a little stronger then the V6 version.

Known for failure. Not too accurate. These trannies have been in production since the early '80's. That's over 25 years of production. There are in every 1/2 ton and lighter GM rear wheel drive vehicle. That includes all 1/2 ton fullsize pickup trucks, suburbans, tahoes, fullsize blazers, s10 trucks, Astro vans, fullsize vans, even some cars, and all there counter parts in the GM family of vehicles. Like the GMC 1/2 ton pickups, etc... Hell, they can even be found in 'Vettes. Known for failure isnt an accurate depiction. Yes, they had issues until '86, GM addressed those issues and by '87 these trannies are very dependable. Yes, they have had some minor issues at times. However, the #1 reason these trannies fail is due to heat, and lack of proper maintenance by the owner. Heat cooks out the lubrication in the tranny fluid, if the owner doesnt change tranny fluid nor keep the tranny cool, it will lead to failure.

The 4L60E tranny started as the 700R4, upgraded to the 4L60 in the early '90s, and then morphed into the 4L60E in '93. 13 years later and its still a 4L60E. In '98 GM made another change, they seperated the bellhousing from the rest of the case. They did this so they could bolt it up to the new line of engines, I5 for example. Change the bellhouisng from the SBC V8/4.3L V6 90 degree bolt pattern to the I5 bolt pattern and drop it in.

To say that these trannies are known for failure is not a good general statement. Overall, these trannies are highly sought after. You can find them behind all SBC V8 engines, and they find there way into all makes and models of vehicles when people decide to "upgrade". The first gear is the lowest in the industry for an auto, 3.06. Plus it has one of the best overdrive ratios in the industry, 70%, for autos. They can be built to handle 450ft pounds of torque. Plus a good tranny shop can modify the crap out of them, parts can be found everywhere, and even the average Shade tree mechanic can install a Corvette servo to imporve the shift in less then 1/2hr. Not too mention you can get them with or without computer control.

They are known for failure when they get abused, and even then it takes a fair amount of abuse to fry them. Even once they are fried, 9 times out of 10 you just need a rebuild kit that you can buy at AutoZone for a little over $100. The rebuild kit comes with everything you need to rebuild it, except for a new torque converter ($150 and up), new tranny fluid (12 quarts), and a can or two of Tranny flush to clean out the tranny cooler and cooling lines. Rare to need new hard parts, except maybe the Reaction Sun Shell on some of the early '00 models.

Sorry, but I dont think "Known for failure" is a fair statement. There are literaly millions of these trannies in use today. If failure was that high, you would see a whole lot more about it. Even a class action suit, or recalls. I just dont see the evidence to back up that statement.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2006, 09:06 AM
bigfnstud2

i realize that some people think these are a decent trans but i agree they are known for failure. they are nowhere near as strong as the old 400s or even 350s. what ever you do make sure you go with the auxillary trans cooler or you will be in trouble. i have known people who always maintained their 4l60e and it still went out. good luck and i hope you have better luck than i have had with them....
post #8 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 09:42 PM
4x4 nick

I drowned my 98 jimmy to the point where the engine had sucked in a good helping of water,(bad angle on a ditch crossing). Pulled the plugs, dumped the water out and changed the oil for good measure. No problems whatsoevr with the engine since but the tranny ingested some water as well and i had it changed out after i was told the glue holding the clutch material on the bands is water soluble, no amount of flushing could fix it. Did i get ripped or what? also would like to know if you could enlighten me on how the transmission would let water into it in the first place? i was only deep enogh for the intake to just go under the water with my rear end at the top of a 45 dgree angle. tranny was not in much water and i was pulled out within 10 minutes.?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 10-17-2006, 10:33 PM
Old Hand

the tranny is very hot. when it hit the water, it cooled quickly. this caused a vacuum. and bang, water gets sucked in. a vent line may have been run up under the hood, sucking in water.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2006, 08:03 AM

There is a vent line on top of the tranny. On the older S10's its about 4" long and not visible from under the truck. On the newer S10's this 4" piece has a long piece of vent tube attached and hangs down the side of the tranny, to about frame level. Like mentioned above, the heat vacuum sucked in the water.

Its not so much the clutch pack material is water soluable, its the fact that water and tranny fluid dont mix. Looks like pepto-bismal. This mix doesn't, and your clutch packs slip, thus eating the clutch material off them. If you get your tranny flushed immediately you should be fine. However if you drove the truck witht eh mixture, you are more then likely looking at a rebuild.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode