Advise??? 98'Blazer! help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 08:30 PM
AAA56

Advise??? 98\'Blazer! help

Hi,
My Name is andy and I'm totally new hear.It seems like there is a bunch of people here who really know what there talking about.So I thought maybe some body would have some advise for me.

Right now I'm driving a 85 Pontiac Perisienne which is just falling into pieces and I'm going to buy a used vehicle in the next month. I want and SUV that gets good gas mileage but that I can lift and trick out a lil bit.

Thats why I was thinking about gettin a new model Chevy blazer (18-22mpg) and just put a body lift (3"or more) on it so I have clearance for some bigger tires(30s or 31s) and some wheel spacers too make the wheel base a lil wider.It would still be my daily driver,because i can't afford 2 vehicles but i still want the looks and a lil bit of off-road ability, which is why i'm concerned about mileage and ride quality.

here are my questions:
-would it be stupid for a daily driver to do that?is there a better way?
-Is that going to kill my gas mileage
-Can a cold-air-intake and a true Dual exhaust bring me back up to 20mpg?
-is it "rolling"-wise going to be safer than a suspension lift?
-or does anybody have a better Idea than what I put up?

Thanks so much for the help.
Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2006, 08:29 AM

Re: Advise??? 98\'Blazer! help

Hey, I had a '98 S-10 pickup but have a friend with a Blazer. He loves it (although he loves his Avalanche more now...).

For gas mileage... I don't know what your Pontiac got for mileage but the Blazer is still OK for mileage. I figure 17-20 on the highway as long as your foot isn't heavy.

The big gas mileage killer is going to be the tire change. Any other mods you do will mean very little to getting the power back until you do a gear change, putting your final gear ratio closer to stock. Putting on bolt-on mods will 1> not do what you're looking exactly and 2> cause you to put your foot in it more often to hear the difference! :-)

I never really liked the idea of body lifts. On a regular Blazer with 31" tires you might still have to trim the fender well to keep the tires from rubbing. I don't really know...

As far as rolling-wise I personally think suspension lifts are better for stability, only because the body lift is simply molded blocks that raise the cab from the frame, a changes the center of gravity to the top a bit.

If you really want a good, bone stock alternative, check out the Blazer with the ZR2 Package. That way you get a decent motor (I think they come with the 195hp model) and 31" tires, plus 3.73 gears as stock. And since they don't make the Blazer or the regular S-10 anymore you can find a decent used one out there for a good price.

Hope that helps
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2006, 06:38 PM
Old Hand

Re: Advise??? 98\'Blazer! help

don't body lift it. just an all around bad idea.

and there is no real way to get better MPG. once you put a lift or larger tires on, the MPG are gone.

true duals are hard to do on little blazers. there is just not much room. plus, a true dual actually hurts MPG unless you use an X pipe. messing with the exhaust on those motors also produces a kind of strange exhaust note. your not gonna get a the sound of a hot small block out of a 6 banger. the stock exhausts on those trucks are good, and messing with things will not gain you much. the place you can gain a little MPG is to add a set of shorty headers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode