transmission kicking - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-23-2006, 05:35 PM Thread Starter

transmission kicking

Hi there. I have a '94 "chevota" with a 700Ri tranny in it. The tranny went out last October and it had to be rebuilt (in the middle of a 2month road trip, no less). It had been kicking before the rebuild, but you could manually shift it a bit to ease the kick. After the rebuild, it was good for like a day and then started kicking again! It still kicks, not nearly as bad and only in between 1st and 2nd, but it really gets my goat since we paid a lot of money to get it fixed and it's not perfect. Now, to top it all off, it is apparently leaking tranny fluid from somewhere. Has anyone had this experience? Does anyone have some advice? The work is supposedly under warranty but we've had issues with getting the mechanic to honor this warranty before on radiator work that was done at the same time as the tranny. Long, annoying story, but yeah.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-27-2006, 10:55 PM
Old Hand

Re: transmission kicking

Um, kicking.

Does it always kick, or just when your on it hard? And was it a strait rebuild, or did they mess around with anything when they were in there?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 02:41 PM Thread Starter

it pretty much always kicks. it actually kicks a bit less when you gas it right before it shifts. and there seems to be some correlation between environmental temp and severity of kicking. i was thinking about just changing the transmission filter. think this will help? it's also leaking tranny fluid from somewhere, so we just stay extra vigilant on fluid levels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2006, 10:15 PM
Old Hand

changing the filter is a first step.

next, check the linkage. both for the kick down cable (if you have one) and to make sure that your shift thingy on the side of the trans is popping into each gear properly. i don't know how your shifter is rigged up, but you want to make sure that you are "clicking" totally into each gear. if it is a little off, it will cause it to kick. you are trying to be in 2 gears at the same time basically.

to check, i always disconnect the linkage from the trans. then i have someone shift the truck into each gear on the column how ever you have it rigged up. move the trans thingy into each respective gear that the truck's shifter current position. make sure the linkage slips together without anything being out of line. if it is, your forcing the trans to be in 2 gears at once.

if you have the pan already off doing the fluid swap, you can double check it with your eyes. you'll see the little follower and where it fits into a tooth like thing on a spring inside the trans, just inboard of where the rod goes into the trans.

with that said, all your chevy trans have a little kick. i have had all the major trans at some point, th400, th350, a few 700r4s.

the kick comes from two things. one is the trans are a little worn on some. so, the kick is it grabbing between gears because clearances are a little loose. the other kicks are because a few of the trans were built up. the quicker the trans shifts and grabs between ranges, the more HP it can take without ripping apart the clutches and bands. the kick comes from one clutch or band letting go, and the other grabbing right away. this allows for minimum wear.

if it were too smooth, it would mean that one is starting to grip while the other has not quite let go. this causes excessive wear. mix this with a warmed over small block and your trans will have a short life.

i'd check the linkage first. esp if it was rebuilt. they might have just bolted it back together and not checked.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 02:37 PM Thread Starter

thanks a bunch! will do the filter change and then move on from there. one problem (possibly a really stupid question) but how do i check the linkage on an automatic? i feel that this is a very likely cause since the work that was done seems to be quite shoddy. i mean, it's leaking fluid for goodness sakes! after charging us to "reseal the transfer case!"
post #6 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2006, 05:55 PM
Old Hand

what i said above is for an auto. i'm not sure what your set up looks like, but the idea is to have the trans in a gear and your gear shifter in the same gear. all the linkage should line up, and just slip in and out. if you have to move stuff, or stuff is just a little off, that means that your trans might be between gears even though your shifter in the truck says you are in "D".

also, check the linkage itself. if it is slopply or loose, again the trans might not be fully in the gear.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2006, 11:25 AM Thread Starter

thanks so much! will try all this soon....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode