'99 Jimmy E-Brake or parking brake - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-07-2006, 03:06 PM
stevieboycapecod

\'99 Jimmy E-Brake or parking brake

I have four wheel disc brakes on my 4x4 (135K mi). I have read posts about the "horsecollar" shoe arrangement on the rear disc/drum arrangement. I have serviced (replace disc/drum and shoe yoke) these once before myself and know how to get the disc/drum off with a little effort (heat, puller, hammer, pb rust). I take apart the little piston/plunger thingy, clean it, grease it, tension up and put everything back together. I think the system sucks. I don't know why it is not self adjusting.

Is there an aftermarket product out there that works better/holds better? With a boat on a ramp this arrangement is not the best thing in the world. The parking brake generally degrades after a few months of use after service. I can't see having to take it apart every year for adjustment. I have a three year old Hyundai Elantra (135K mi) with rear drums and I have not serviced them yet. The parking brake holds like a charm.

This is an inspection item in my state. Do any of you have this problem? I googled and found a lawsuit over this: http://www.texarkanagazette.com/arti...ews/news16.txt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-13-2006, 12:23 PM

Re: \'99 Jimmy E-Brake or parking brake

I also have the same problem with my ebrake on my silverado, I seem to adjust it every summer and it works mildly well for a month or so but then loses all grip. I hope to be replacing the entire rotor/pads/e pads soon and be able to see if that helps.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2006, 04:37 PM

Re: \'99 Jimmy E-Brake or parking brake

I recently Rebuilt my rear brakes and those Ebrake shoes are outragously (sp) expensive. Cost me like $81 for a pair.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode