High mileage - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-16-2006, 06:11 PM
Thadrawr

High mileage

Hi all i drive a 1999 GMC Jimmy with over 132000 miles on it, i know the 4.3 will take much much more but how much longer until i am looking into a new tranny or something else serious. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 10:42 AM

Re: High mileage

What do you do w/ your truck? Is it only on the street or is trail ridden? Bigger tires than stock? Do you pull a trailor? My experience with the 4L60E tranny which you have is that factory built they were junk. When one is rebuilt they can be superior trannies. Mine went out @ 7x,xxx on it. The front driver's hub assembly was next. The engine is the least of your worries. I'd say if you tow or do much offroading your chances of a tranny rebuild are great.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 02:58 PM
Thadrawr

mostly street driving with about 50-80 miles a day on it. not a serious offroad truck yet and no towing. it is 100% stock for the time being.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 09:40 PM

with the given driving that you do, it should last you at least til 150k miles. if you did towing, then cut that in half. trannies can last you quite awhile, but just remember to check and change the fluid once in awhile. if your tranny is stock, then dont be surprised if you have to replace it soon. however under highway miles, no towing, and little to no offroad, and easy acceleration, ive seen chevy trannys get as much as 250k miles before needing replacement. that '77 truck listed below has been over the odometer 3 times and not needed a tranny, plus its been muddin, towing, and all kinds of offroad (it use to be in the logging business).
post #5 of (permalink) Old 01-18-2006, 10:01 AM

I think you should be ok. If you do however change your driving habits the tranny will respond negatively. If you haven't power purged your tranny yet don't. Any debris in it will get in your valve bodies and cause a problem. If you have been doing the purges frequently keep it up.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 08:27 AM
Old Hand

the chevy tranny is like a ticking time bomb. at some point they are going to go. it all depends on what you use the truck for, and how hard it gets beat. keeping up on fluid and filter changes prolongs its life, but at some point it will go.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 01-19-2006, 06:47 PM

Oh yeah.... Add a tranny cooler and that may get you some extra mileage as well.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 01:00 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Had my '99 Jimmy rebuilt last spring at 120K miles. I tow a boat (total rig ~2500 lbs?) on weekends in the summer for short hops to the ramp. Otherwise it is my wife's car for around town. I'm almost ertain my teenage son doesn't abuse it when he borrows it ;-)

I'll take contour's advice on the fluid cooler if it is an easy fix. My work: Three wheel bearing changes, heater core (120K mi), water pump (100K mi, typical I'm told), intake manifold gasket (125K mi, had mechanic do it), alternator (125K mi).
post #9 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2006, 01:44 AM
S10Sport

My trannys been making some odd noises and is clunking should i replace it now or wait till it blows??
and how much usually is a tranny rebuild in cdn??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode