99 Jimmy Ball Joints - remove front axle help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 01-15-2006, 09:46 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

99 Jimmy Ball Joints - remove front axle help

Haynes manual calls for removal of front axle (CV joint type on 4WD). Gets you into a "do loop" with removing ball joints first so you can slip the steering knucle to remove the axle. But you must have the axle removed before you can drill the rivets on the lower ball joint. You also cannot pry the steering knucke down and off the lower ball joint bolt without the top of the lower ball joint hitting the CV joint on the axle. Anyway, the axle must go.

My question: Can I just pivot the steering knuckle (tie rod connection removed) and slide the outside axle end out of the wheel bearing? I don't want to mess with the differential end. And I don't want to remove the wheel bearing to make more room. But I'll do what I have to do. I don't want to destroy the axle. It is going back in, as is the bearing if I must remove it.

I have AllDITY, but it doesn't seem to address front axle removal.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 01-17-2006, 10:52 AM

Re: 99 Jimmy Ball Joints - remove front axle help

I would personnaly remove the hub assembly. a spindle nut and three bolts and you are there. That will allow you to slide the end ot the CV out of the spindle. Then you have access without taking the CV completely out. I know you didn't want to take off the hub assembly but I think it would be the easiest way. I would also post this topic on chevytruckworld.com under the Blazer section. If there is anything that I missed they are very knowledgeable.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 12:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks contour. I ended up taking off the bearing and then slipping the castle nuts that join the steering knuckle to the ball joints. Since I was replacing both upper and lower ball joints, I slipped off the steering knuckle. It made enough room without having to take the axle out of the differential. On the next one I will try to slip the steering knuckle off with the bearing still attached. Hope I have enough clearance to slide it off. If not, I'll separate the bearing from the knuckle again. Bear of a job for an amatuer!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 01-20-2006, 03:28 PM

I am glad it worked out for you. I hope it saved you a bunch of time and work.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode