98 sonoma manual trans problems - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-05-2005, 09:06 PM
98sonoma

98 sonoma manual trans problems

I was driving my pickup down the freeway today & all of a sudden when trying to shift into 5th gear, found it was missing! It will physically fall into position like a normal shift, but will not engage the gear. I also found that reverse will just kind of grind like it barely touches with the gear, but will not fall into place.... Has anyone had this problem? I can fix mostly anything on the truck, but I am curious if this is a major problem or can it be fixed by a fairly seasoned shadetree mechanic? thanks for any responses....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2005, 03:28 PM

Re: 98 sonoma manual trans problems

Sounds to me like it may be synchros.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2005, 08:34 AM

Re: 98 sonoma manual trans problems

Before you get too crazy make sure that your fluid level is correct. If you need to top it off you'll need to get the special stuff from the dealer for the tranny.

If it's whining at all when you are in neutral it might be a pilot bearing going south. If that's the case you can replace just that but it might be better just replace the whole clutch, since you'll be tearing it all down anyway...

I've never really heard of the synchros going bad on these tranny's (assuming your '98 has the NV3500 like my old '98 Chevy did), but it is possible I guess.

Last I checked these boards still don't e-mail replies and I don't keep track here. So if there's a yay or nay reply I won't see it for a while. But good luck.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode