Looking for some help with a 99 gmc jimmy - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2005, 09:42 PM
MyJimmy99

Looking for some help with a 99 gmc jimmy

I recently bought a 99 gmc jimmy, i want to jack this thing up and put some nice sized tires on it. but i need some help. im not quite sure what i should be looking for as far as a body lift kit, a suspension lift kit, and wheels and tires. if anyone has any ideas or suggestions it would be greatly appreaciated.

-Chris <font color="black"> </font>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 09:50 AM

Re: Looking for some help with a 99 gmc jimmy

how much money are you willing to invest? What size tires and wheels do you want to run under it? Then, decide how much lift you need for tire clearance. Body lifts are cheap but will only give you max 3? inches (plus they look bad). Suspension lifts cost a heckuva lot more but give you better performance. Block kits will also require welding extensions to rods and ends, wire extension, and basically anything that doesnt move with the body. If you just want a little more clearance for cheap to run the larger tires, do an axle flip in the back and possibly add blocks. Then crank your torsion bars in the front or add spring spacers. Its cheap and easy and will get you tire clearance if you dont plan on doing very much offroading.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-19-2005, 12:20 PM

Re: Looking for some help with a 99 gmc jimmy

If you are only wanting a few inches I'd go with a 3" body lift that should get you 31's under it. You might be able to crank your torsion bars and block the rear to get 33's. I am not sure about this though. If you are on a budget, than this is really your only choice. Now if you just won the lottery than you could do a suspension lift or change the front to solid front axle set up. To get any real heighth off of it, you'll want to change it to a solid front axle. With that being said I would personally start with an older solid front axle truck. Cheaper to build. You might even be able to dedicate it just to trail running. As much as I want to build my 99 Blazer I can't. I am just waiting to build something for trails only. I may do a body lift with 31's but that is as big as I can afford. Plus my truck is way too nice to beating trees or rocks with it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode