Blowing off stream - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 02:29 PM Thread Starter

Blowing off stream

I used to have a 85' GMC Jimmy. Did not like it too much. Had the 2.8 in it, (so it was a dog) and just had problems all the time......

So I leased a '98 Toyota Tacoma. Loved it. It was a bit small inside but had zero problems with it....

To make a long story short... Got married, had a kid, needed a bigger vehicle. Bought a 2000 Chevy Blazer, 4.3 4X4 4door....and have had nothing but problems.

The dam ball joints have been replaced 3 times on right side and 2 on the left....Electrical crap all the time going wrong. Now just had to replace the alternator. I know some is general maintenance but dammn.....Are they that bad compaired to the Toyotas.....

I am not doing this for a "brand war" I know everything has good points bad points...But I know what will be my next purchase....might have to go full size so the Tundra looks good.

Just blowing off some stream......
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-28-2005, 04:17 PM

Re: Blowing off stream

You can't even compare that truck to a Toyota- those things will run forever with no problems. Upgrading to a Tundra sounds like a good idea. [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-08-2005, 08:07 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Make sure to use MOOG ball joints (and lube them at proper intervals) and you should be pretty well set in terms of not having to replace them for a good long while. Was it the stock alternator, or an aftermarket? Some are better than others. I've had poor luck with various aftermarkt alternators. I got to the point where I could change out the alternator in 5-7 minutes on my old 92 2500 Chevy pickup...

BTW I seem to recall reading of some problems with the various Toyota V6's being significantly less reliable than the 4 cylinders. I suppose if you upgrade to a V8 it shouldn't matter too much, or perhaps they've got their act together on the 6's... I've never owned one, so just going by what I've seen on various forums, but I suspect nobody had a reason to lie about such things...</font>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 09:05 AM Thread Starter

Sandman....The alternator was original. I then replaced with the refurbished oem from AutoZone. Wasn't in the mood to shop for price..(I also needed it fixed ASAP)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode