gas mileage - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 03:21 PM
mxkx250

gas mileage

I have a 2000 ZR2 and have always gotten bad gas mileage, 14.5mpg. I recently started getting worse 11.7. It is an auto with 37,000. I haven't changed any maintenance items yet, plugs, wires. I ahve installed a K&N FIPK and GMAFS when the truck was new. I have heard that the oil type air filters can cause the transmission to slip. I don't feel any slipping.
Does anyone have any ideas?
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2004, 07:53 PM
84S_10Blazer

Re: gas mileage

Try running Sea Foam through your truck. Buy 3 cans then put 1/3 in your PCV valve. Let it sit for awhile, then pour the rest in your fuel. Cleans out the engine extremely well. (Its a cheaper version to our fuel injector cleaning at GM). About 3,000 miles after doing this, do some major maintenence such as oil/filter change, fuel filter change, spark plugs/wires, etc.... As far as the oiled filters, that's news to me. I have not heard aniything like that nor does it make any sense to me.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 07:47 AM
mxkx250

Thanks for the idea.
Here is the article I was speaking of.
There was a picture, but I can't get it to post here.

WARNING: All K&N And Other Rechargeable Air Filter users

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following is a memo from GM stating the use of rechargeable air filters may cause transmission shift problems, engine driveability problems & SES Light On problems (throwing codes). It also states these problems will NOT be covered under warranty. Yes, in part of the memo, it states "excessively oiled" filters. But for the most part, it reads any use of this type of filter & these issues won't be covered. I just figured some of you might want to know so you can throw a paper filter in if you take your car in for a problem.

SERVICE - ALL BUICK, CADILLAC, CHEVROLET, GMC TRUCK, ISUZU, OLDSMOBILE, PONTIAC AND HUMMER DEALERS

Subject: A/T Shift, Engine Driveability Concerns or SES Light On as a Result of the Installation of an Aftermarket Reusable, Excessively Oiled Air Filter -- 2004 and Prior Cars and Lt Duty Trucks and 2003-2004 HUMMER H2
Message #: VSS20040056

Corporate Bulletin Number 04-07-30-013 will be available in SI on March 18, 2004.

Automatic Transmission Shift, Engine Driveability Concerns or Service Engine Soon (SES)
Light On as a Result of the Installation of an Aftermarket Reusable, Excessively Oiled Air Filter

Models: 2004 and All Prior Cars and Light Duty Trucks
2003-2004 HUMMER H2

DO THIS
First, Inspect the vehicle for a reusable aftermarket excessively oiled air filter

DON'T DO THIS
DO NOT repair under warranty if concerns result from the use of a reusable aftermarket oiled air filter.

The installation of an aftermarket reusable, oiled air filter may result in:

1. Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On

2. Transmission shift concerns, slipping and damaged clutch(es) or band(s)

3. Engine driveability concerns, poor acceleration from a stop, limited engine RPM range

The oil that is used on these air filter elements may be transferred onto the Mass Air Flow (MAF) sensor causing contamination of the sensor. As a result, the Grams per Second (GPS) signal from the MAF may be low and any or all of the concerns listed above may occur.

When servicing a vehicle with any of these concerns, be sure to check for the presence of an aftermarket reusable, excessively oiled air filter. The MAF, GPS reading should be compared to a like vehicle with a OEM air box and filter under the same driving conditions to verify the concern.

Transmission or engine driveability concerns that are the result of the installation of an aftermarket reusable, excessively oiled air filter are not considered to be warrantable repair items.

Here is a pic of the actual bulletin from GM's internal website.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2004, 11:44 AM
84S_10Blazer

Thanks for the SI number. I got on at my dealership and sure enough it was in there. I did not know that, thanks for teaching me a little something [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode