'01 S-10, worth it? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2004, 10:49 AM
jeeper131

\'01 S-10, worth it?

Hey all, I'm thinking about selling my beater 4x4 and moving into the world of expensive newish toys. There is a truck for sale locally and I was wondering what the word on the street was regarding whether it was a worthwhile truck. It is an 01 S-10 Zr2 with 51,000 miles, the Vortec V-6, manual tranny, 4x4, bedliner, various other luxery items like power windows (which I'll have no idea what to do with) It's in really good shape, shiny paint and all. They're asking $13,000 for it. I'm looking for a daily driver that can take me into the backcountry ( I live in colorado) for backpacking, skiing, biking ect, but get decent mileage on my 17 mile uphill drive to work every day. I'm also looking for something that isn't going to blow up on me or need a rebuild any time soon. Any opinions, experience with this truck is greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 12:19 AM
bowtie

Re: \'01 S-10, worth it?

I recently purchased a 03 zr2 and am very happy with it.Most of them come with a limited slip diff that works well for light wheeling. Also the higher stance and width make a big difference too. Although i wish i had the manual. [img]images/graemlins/givemebeer.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-11-2004, 12:50 AM
jeeper131

do you have the 4.3? I was less than impressed with the torque of the 4.3 in the truck I drove, and this one had the K&N airfilter kit, and a flowmaster 40 catback system on it. I drove an 04 ranger XLT with the 4.0 this weekend, an even with the bigger tires I coudl spin rubber without trying too hard.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 01:37 PM
Hanr003

I like the S10's. Pretty sure it has more power then that Ranger you were looking at. Might be a difference of gears. If the Ranger has lower gears, it's gonna suck more gas. Granted it will spin the tires off the line, but who cares. You don't want em spinning on the trail.

The 4.3L is a great durable engine. Been known to last well into 200,000 miles and then some. My last 4.3L lasted to 286,000 miles before I totaled the truck.

Seeing as your looking at the ZR2, it already has 31" tires stock. Bet that Ranger doesn't.

The S10 also come with the NP231 t-case. It is the same t-case used in Jeeps/Cherokees. Upgrades are easy to find.

Pretty sure your front axle is 7.25" and the rear is 8.25" The ZR2 has a larger rear axle then the regular S-series trucks. Plus it comes with a limit slip as a option.

I know more about the Blazers then the pick-ups and even less about the manual trannies in em.
I own 3 S10 Blazers at the moment, and one Ranger. I prefer the Blazer.

Where do you live in Colorado? I used to live in Frisco many moons ago. Like in the 70's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode