700r4 auto tran.Make that a 200r4 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-03-2004, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

700r4 auto tran.Make that a 200r4

Hay ~can any one tell me what GM motor will bolt up to a 700r4 <nobr>auto</nobr> trans? I have excess to 2 of them but need a motor to go with it. Am hoping to put it all in my 87 Tin top <nobr>Suzuki</nobr>!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 01:51 PM
Hanr003

Re: 700r4 auto tran.

The 700R4 tranny comes in two styles. One bolts to the V6 2.8L engine, and the other bolts to the V6 4.3L, and all V8's. Which one do you have?

There were some reliability issues with the early versions of the 700R4, however any good tranny shop can fix that realatively easy. The 700R4 was replaced by the 4L60 in the early 90's late 80's.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-16-2004, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 10-18-2004, 09:18 AM
Hanr003

I am not familiar with a 200R4 tranny. However your 4.3L V6 out of the Astro van was attached to a 700R4 or 4L60E tranny. The 4L60E tranny is an upgraded 700R4 tranny. All the gearing is the same, the tranny length is the same, etc. One of the differences is electronics. The 4L60E is computer controlled. The 700R4 only had a computers to control lock up the torque converter over 45 mph. The 4L60E took that further, all gears shift points are computer controlled. Both trannies can be built to handle up to 450ft pounds of torque. You did get the computer with the engine correct?

Any 700R4 tranny attached to the 4.3L V6 or any V8 engine will work. They all have the same bolt pattern. Now which vehicles did/does the 700R4/4L60E tranny come in. Chevy put them in all SUV's, 1/2 ton trucks, and some light duty 3/4 ton trucks. Thier is a difference between 2wd and 4wd models. The difference is the output shaft, it is longer on 2wd models then on 4wd models. If your going with a divorced t-case it won't much matter. But if your going with the t-case attached, get one from a 4x4. Might even want to get the t-case when you get the tranny, and the cross brace. It will make mounting the tranny into your easier.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 10-27-2004, 04:29 PM
Can't Get Enough

The TH200 is a 4spd OD that GM put in 80's cars, like Olds 88's and Caprices. I don't know much else besides that. It seems like it sould be smaller than a 700, since its from a car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode