sfa conversion - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-01-2004, 10:06 AM
99jimmy

sfa conversion

Do any of you know of a company that makes a kit for a 99 jimmy to swap in a solid front axle. I am new to wheeling and car mechanics in general. Yet I have the help of two skilled truck mechanics and welders. Also is it possible to fabricate a kit? Any help would be well appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-08-2004, 07:32 PM

Re: sfa conversion

www.setstr8.com there you go! a cool 4 link with coil spring for solid axle
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-23-2004, 08:54 PM

Does anyone know what kind of articulation you get from this setup? It would be going on a 93 S-10 Blazer 4x4. Thanx.

Bill
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 07:34 PM

Alot of flex from what i have seen its set up just like the jeep TJ suspension in front. The front flexes but i'd add heavy duty shackles in the rear not crazy big shackels just enough to give the axle some twist. I still get alot of flex out of my springs though.....i almost went with this kit but it was just too much money...and you only get clearance for like 35's or 36's with a body lift..
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 09:45 PM

I didn't see a price on there, but I can imagine how high it is. Anyone try making brackets and using leaf springs on the front with a SFA? It would be easier than adding the parts for the 4 link. Find a straight-line, weld on the brackets and then the springs. Something like a set of Wagoneer springs. They're used to holding up a v6 and v8. (sorry, was a former Jeep guy, and will be again in the future) Then a nice d44 front. Also, how would the rear axle hold up to a lunchbox locker? I used to have an 85 s-10 and shattered the rear spider gears while playing on a steep clay hill. Maybe switch out the rear to a d44 also. Just have to find the right width axle (or close).

Bill
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 07:58 AM

9.5 inch lift for 2,100 or the 11 inch for 2,600 is the price i was quoted. I had a powertrax no-slip locker in my old s15 jimmy with mosier axle shafts and that 10 bolt took a beating and never gave up, although i blew the front end 5 times. I will probably be putting the locker on ebay here in a few weeks (when i pull it out of the old truck i'm parting out)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 10-12-2004, 02:15 PM
Hanr003

I am also considering a SFA swap in my S10-Blazer. Still doing research.
So far the utimate set-up would be a D60 from a Ford 250 78-79 HP drivers side drop reverse cut, or D44 from the same years F150, HP, reverse cut.

Rear axle 14FF from a 3/4 or 1 tons Chevy truck. Fullwidth of coarse.

I have also looked into a D30 out of a Jeep Cherokee. Drivers side drop, HP reverse cut. Running my stock rear axle or swapping in a ZR2 rear axle.

Now comes the million dollar question. Springs or coils?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode