How much for a front 2wd wheel hub???? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 07:13 AM Thread Starter

How much for a front 2wd wheel hub????

Guys,
This is kind-of-a head scratcher. [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

The wifes 99 Blazer (2 wheel drive) front wheel bearing sounded like it was going out. Apparently GM decided that the old-style "spindle-inner/outer bearing on the rotor" was just too dang simple to leave alone.

No, they replace it with a non-serviceable hub that costs $485, and lasts around 60-70,000 mile!!!!! [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]

Well, I have an non-factory extended warranty (very good so far).......but they will only give me $250 towards the hub, and requested the dealer to use an aftermarket hub if available. WTF! [img]images/graemlins/deal.gif[/img]

Here's where it sucked. No aftermarket hubs exist in the area, even if they did it still was ~+$400. [img]images/graemlins/chair.gif[/img]

I called a few machine shops in the area, and was also told the hub was not serviceable even if they could get the bearing. [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]

I then authorized the GM hub and paid the difference. They knocked 10% off when I mentioned I can get the hub from GMPartsDirect for ~$300. (I had printed out the part/cost but I knew they will not match $). [img]images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

He actually said, they could not complete with GMPartsDirect......even at the list price + the shipping addon. [img]images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]

The warranty $250 would have been easier to swallow if I did not have a $100 deductible, which was now included since they worked on it! [img]images/graemlins/ooo.gif[/img]

The labor to install the hub was a joke. It's like changing the rotor. PRobably 20-30 min. Max, They charged the warranty 1.5 hours. [img]images/graemlins/spank.gif[/img]

In all, all I had to pay was the ~$250 difference and a $49 alignment (they replaced the pitman arm, which was covered %100 by the warranty) + tax.

I am a firm believer in www.GMPartsdirect.com, but using them this time would not have saved me any $ since I was able to use some of my warranty.

It just torques me off how much these dealers mark up thier prices on parts! And I'd like to smack the GM Engineer who decided non-serviceable parts are better. Probably a bean-counter endorsed the change! [img]images/graemlins/crybaby.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-08-2004, 09:38 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: How much for a front 2wd wheel hub????

You got screwed with no lube buddy!!!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-10-2004, 05:11 AM

<font face="Comic Sans MS"> I hate non servicable parts too but there are a handful of reasons (all) manufacturers are going this way, including but not limited to the average person not servicing or getting their servicable parts maintained (pack with grease, etc), and ease of assembly when they roll it down the assembly line. They prefer things that snap in, or if that's not possible with as few fasteners as possible, with as few parts to handle at a time as possible. Also it's nicer for the guy/gal putting the bearings in since they don't need to go home every day doused in grease, and they don't get it all over everything else either...

It's easier and cheaper for the factory to deal with being the primary reason, and that's how designers are trained these days. All movements and components need to be analyzed to see what can be assembled (usually outsourced to workers someplace labor is dirt cheap) as a unit and then placed into the final device...</font>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 08:44 PM
84S_10Blazer

I know EXACTLY how you feel there buddy. I'm a GM ASEP student and working for a GM dealership. It ticks me off how stupid engineers can be just to save time and money on the assmbly line but forget about the people who drive what they developed. Not everyone gets paid high dollar to be too smart with no common sense. For examplen the brand new Chevy Colorado (DO NOT BUY THIS!!!) you cannot just simply take the rotors off to be rsurfaced and oh boy if you dar have to replace a whole rotor be prepared to shell out the money because we are gonna have to take a bunch of stuff off and replace them as a unit. In addition to this, ANY brand new GM vehicles always have "bugs" or better known as "campaigns" on them with any new designs or upgrades. I used to be a GM man and still drive them and work on them but in my opinion GM is just beginning to slip in quality.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-17-2004, 03:03 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS"></font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
In addition to this, ANY brand new GM vehicles always have "bugs" or better known
as "campaigns" on them with any new designs or upgrades. I used to be a GM man and still drive them and work on them but in my opinion GM is just beginning to slip in quality.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's the problem though, just about everybody is going to start having that problem (and many do currently) especially as they start to make all the systems more complex. Even stupid little things like battery trays are tucked up somewhere you can't reach it to change it or give it a jump start without ripping other things out first. And the trend will only continue to get worse.

I suspect another part of it is because they want the big money that comes from servicing the vehicle, and as an added benefit to them when they make it more complex, less people are capable of keeping it operational by themselves, thereby forcing more people to take it in to get it serviced.

TBI is all the fuel injection I ever want. So what if the new stuff will tell you what's wrong with it, I can't afford a diagnostic tool to carry around to find out just what the problem is. That's why I prefer the simplicity of the mud beast suburban. There's only about 10 wires that control the function of the major vehicle components. If something doesn't work, you don't need the computer to tell you what's wrong, it's a simple fuel/air/spark analysis to find out what's up...</font>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2004, 09:25 AM

GM was notorious for having an Engineer vs. Bean Counter fight all the time. A lot of upper management were Bean Counters and quality suffered therein. And there are some things on the newer Chevy's that Engineers came up with that simply amaze me to this day...

Back in the '80s I would NEVER have bought an American vehicle. I even HAD an '80s FORD (later on) and that was in more trouble than it was worth.

I think the quality of GM's trucks has improved vastly, although I mourn the loss of a manual hub and NP205 option; it just wasn't meant to be.

And as far as all the vehicle "campaigns" out there, consider that that the Ford Focus was the most recalled vehicle there for a short time. I think GM is doing pretty good quality-wise...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode