Thanks to this site, I fixed my 4WD - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

Thanks to this site, I fixed my 4WD

I recently realized that my <nobr><nobr><a class="iAs" style="border-bottom:darkgreen 1px solid;text-decoration:underline;color:darkgreen;background-color:transparent;" href="#" onclick="return kwC();" target="_blank" oncontextmenu="return false;" onmouseover="kwE(event,217983);" onmouseout="kwL(event);" onmousemove="kwM(217983);"><nobr><a class="iAs" style="border-bottom:darkgreen 1px solid;text-decoration:underline;color:darkgreen;background-color:transparent;" href="#" onclick="return kwC();" target="_blank" oncontextmenu="return false;" onmouseover="kwE(event,217983);" onmouseout="kwL(event);" onmousemove="kwM(217983);"><nobr><a class="iAs" style="border-bottom:darkgreen 1px solid;text-decoration:underline;color:darkgreen;background-color:transparent;" href="#" onclick="return kwC();" target="_blank" oncontextmenu="return false;" onmouseover="kwE(event,217983);" onmouseout="kwL(event);" onmousemove="kwM(217983);"><nobr><a class="iAs" style="border-bottom:darkgreen 1px solid;text-decoration:underline;color:darkgreen;background-color:transparent;" href="#" onclick="return kwC();" target="_blank" oncontextmenu="return false;" onmouseover="kwE(event,217983);" onmouseout="kwL(event);" onmousemove="kwM(217983);"><nobr><a class="iAs" style="border-bottom:darkgreen 1px solid;text-decoration:underline;color:darkgreen;background-color:transparent;" href="#" onclick="return kwC();" target="_blank" oncontextmenu="return false;" onmouseover="kwE(event,217983);" onmouseout="kwL(event);" onmousemove="kwM(217983);">4WD</nobr></a></nobr></a></nobr></a></nobr></a></nobr></a></nobr> wasn't working on my 87 S15 Jimmy.
So I checked back to this website, and using the "SEARCH" function I found LOTS of info.

With this info I was able to trouble shoot MY problem.

There was no vacuum to the actuator, when the transfer case was shifted into 4WD.
I found the vacuum that ran to the vacuum switch on the T-case. So I tried just running this vacuum straight to the actuator, and then the actuator worked perfectly and it would engage the front axle.

So I replaced the vacuum lines running to the switch, and from the switch to the actuator.
(These vacuum lines were extremely soft and they seemed to be collapsing in on themselves)

This made The 4WD work, BUT now "sometimes" it did not want to shift out of 4wd [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img].
(The vacuum would still be present at the actuator even though the T case was shifted to 2WD.)

So I removed the vacuum switch from the T-case. And it was also part of the problem.
The spring loaded "push rod / ball" thingy in there, sometimes springs back out, sometimes it needs a SMACK on the concrete to persuade it to spring back out [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] .

I attempted cleaning it with PB Blaster and greasing it, but it would still get stuck sometimes.
So I got a new one at the stealership
P/N 15664811, list price = $31.44 my price = $23.58
Later I saw it at Autozone in the "HELP" section for $14 [img]images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Anyway, Now it all works better than it ever has, it quickly shifts into 4wd, for a total cost of about $34 for vacuum lines and switch
I just wanted to THANK the people who post here ! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
You are creating valuable reference information! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Without this site troubleshooting my problem would have taken MUCH LONGER !
(My Chilton's manual was no help at all)
Also it's good to see some of the old timers are still around [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode