fuel filter? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-30-2004, 12:34 PM
cam62

fuel filter?

trying to get some better milage and do some routine stuff on the 2000 sonoma. I have the fuel filter and found where it is at on the rail any tricks to getting it changed? On my ford there is a special sleeve to undo the clip but this one is differant. Also I am not having any luck changing the driver center plug since the stering shaft is smack in the way. I have swivels and most of them were pretty easy from the wheel well but this one is a puzzle.

Thanks for any help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2004, 04:33 PM
84S_10Blazer

Re: fuel filter?

I'm a GM mechanic and have dealt with the fuel filters on the Sonomas pleny of times. It's a pain to get off but you can do it. Just disconnect the couplers and use LOTS of force to get the old filter off, then use a little bit of oil or great and rub it around the new filter to slide it onto the bracket.

P.S. I forgot to mention, the disconnects WILL be a pain to get off because at my dealership we use a J-Tool to get them off, for you I would recommend a bent plier or small screwdriver and lots of cursing to disconnect it.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 08:11 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

he's right a lot of cussin always helps when workin on vehicles. if cussin sends you to hell, buddy i got a first class ticket staight there. [img]images/graemlins/cussing.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 08:39 AM
cam62

Thanks for the info i was mostly concerned with the fiting removal that looks like a pushon fitting. How the plastic clip works.

post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2004, 03:10 PM
84S_10Blazer

Dont worry about the plastic fittings, once you get the old one off the new ones will snap right in. Hope this helps.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2004, 09:33 PM
cam62

Thanks for the help! Changing it was way easier than my FORD with all the slip bushings and crap. I am still wondering on if there is an easier way to release pressure in the line other than taking a load sprayed all over when cracking the fitting on the filter. No matter, 15 minutes compared to the ford's 1 hour of working with the clip is worth a little gas.
It is idling a lot smoother since this was the factory filter. i am still working on the one problem plug and popping in the chassie under a tight slow turn.

Thank you Cam
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-05-2004, 04:02 PM
84S_10Blazer

Dang I cant believe I forgot to tell you to open up the gas cap to release the air, oh well I will get it one day. At my dealership I can work on a car w/o making mistakes but when I give people advice thats when I mess up. Anyways if you open up the cap it will release a little bit of pressure and help cutdown on the gas spills. Our tech forums tell us to depressurize the fuel rails but its just much less time consuming to just open the cap. Well good to hear you got it off!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode