99 s-10 questions. - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2004, 11:29 PM
imported_Beast

99 s-10 questions.

Last friday I bought a 99 s-10.It's a regular cab shorted with a 4.3 with a 5 speed.And it's 4wd.

How strong is the 5 speed trans?I beleive the older model one's where t-5's.Which I haven't heard to many good things about?Is this a t-5?

Has anyone had any problem with the pushbutton 4wd?I would prefer to have a lever on the floor.I have been told if you get it wet they quit working.I don't plan on going through any creeks anytime soon.But you never know.

Also thia little truck runs pretty good.I raced a 4.3 2wd extended cab with an auto.I beat him by about 6 lenghts.Does anyone have any power ratings for these trucks.

Thanks for any info.So far I love this little truck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2004, 08:44 AM

Re: 99 s-10 questions.

Hey,

I had a '98 with pretty much the same options you described.

The tranny is probably an NV3500. Just about the same tranny used in the full size manuals. They are hard to break, but the CAN break. When I finally sold the truck and bought my full size I think the pilot bearing was giving out. I know that can be an issue.

I also managed to swap in a short throw shifter from B&M. Let me tell you, it's worth it!!!

Power ratings depend on engine options or RPO codes. I'm going to "guess" that you have the 180 HP model, like mine. The best way is to look in the glove box and match up all those RPO codes against THIS SITE .

The pushbutton 4x4 was pretty stable for me. I eventually had a failure with the plunger used for the vacuum actuated 4x4. Instead of just replacing it I installed a 4x4 posi lok cable system, which was easy to do.

Word of advice, if you have bigger tires or have disabled the speed governor, you CAN do over 100 MPH in this truck. My advice is to not get caught doing it. 30 days without a liccense in CA is a pain. Trust me... [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2004, 06:14 PM
imported_Beast

Thanks for the info.Not to many of the Codes matched up with one's I have in my truck.I found out it has 3:42 gears.

I will look for the B&M shifter.That would be nice.

Time to get some new tires on it.So I can find out what she can do.Any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2004, 07:05 PM

No problem!

Here's some more information from GM's site: link to '99 trucks

The most important thing to notice is the difference between the L30 and LF6, which is about 10hp between motors. There should be a sticker against the firewall in the engine bay that will show the code too.

When I had my truck, I bought it used with a 2" body lift. It also included 30x9.5 BFG All-Terrains. Can't go wrong there. I'll have to warn you that anything over that size is going to rub. 31" Mud Terrains were a b*tch. I had to make some mods to the fenders.

Here's a pic, don't know how long I'll keep it on my web space...

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2004, 07:42 PM
imported_Beast

Are those aftermarket front fenders?

I used to have a 91 gmc sonoma ST.It was extended cab 4.3/700r4.It was 4wd.I took that truck alot of places and it had a longer wheel base than this one.

The truck also has a limited slip.I am thinking with some good tires she would be quite a little rootin machine.

It looks like I have LF6.Which as you know means It has 180hp.I was talking to a guy today with an extreme.He has a 4.3 5 speed also.He also had a hypertech power programer,Flowmaster muffler,cold air intake.He said those mods made a pretty big difference.

I'm more interested in the power programer than anything.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1296582-lil cheif1.JPG (41.1 KB, 12 views)
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-26-2004, 09:51 PM

yeah, they're Glassworks Unlimited fiberglass with a 4" bulge. PITA to get them on the truck.

I also ended up getting some custom fenderwells done, since the stock wells were really torn up after taking off the fenders. This way I could keep everything that was mounted on the fenderwell, and then have some more room to get the tires in. Looked really good, even unpainted. They guy who did the work was very good.

Aside from an AirRaid and that shifter, I didn't do too much to the truck. Even with 31's and 3.42 gears it ran well. But I wanted an automatic, and more room, which is why I bought the full size. All in all I'm not too terribly upset.

Once I get more money ** cough ** ** never gonna happen **, I might pick up another small truck to make a pre-runner, and then tow it with the full size!

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode