Battery Question - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 12:33 PM
padlaw

Battery Question

I recently bought a 2001 4dr 4wd s-10 blazer with 40,000. miles. Last Sunday, afternoon, I went to start it, and all I got was a clicking sound, and after a few times it turned over enough to start. I drove about 25 miles that evening and the next morning, it hesitated when I turned the key before turning the engine to start......yesterday, it would barely start (lots of clicking before finilly starting)....It also wanted to stall for the 1st 1/2 mile or so when coming to a complete stop. (Additionally the clock on radio had reset to default of 1:00) I drove it about 60 miles with out any problem, and all gages were right where they should be, and after the several stops I made it started just fine, instant turn over with key. the truck sat from about 10 am to 7 pm, and it was just about dead again. (clock back to 1) again it charged on the 60 mile trip home, but was dead again this morning. It appears that the battery is the origional that came in the truck new.
Do batteries just die all of a sudden like this, or is there something else draining it when the truck is parked. it seems to be charging just fine, but won't hold a charge for more then a few hours. I checked everything I could think of the might be draining it, but didn't find anything unusal.....any input would be greatly appricated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 01:43 PM
jeepxj66

Re: Battery Question

Your problem could be either. Concidering the age I would check the battery first. It is most likely the problem. To properly test it, it must be fully charged. Some batteries will test good when charged but will not hold the charge more than a few hours.

If it is not a big issue for you I would go so far as to say replace the battery and see if that fixes the problem.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-25-2004, 04:13 PM

Re: Battery Question

Take the vehicle down to Autozone and have them check the battery and the alternator. They can tell you if the charging system is working correctly. If it is then the battery may be bad. They will check it as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode