99 Blazer (S-Series) - Broken Recliner handle FIX - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-22-2004, 09:23 PM Thread Starter

99 Blazer (S-Series) - Broken Recliner handle FIX

My wifes 99 4-door Blazer had a broken seat recliner handle pivot.
This is apparently a common problem.

GM changed the part because the screw that held the handle to the "pot" metal pivot would cause the "ears" to crack and break. The new part is not split on both side and provides a lot more strength. But you have to buy a new handle as well.

I took the seat out to make it easier. 3 floor nuts came off easy, but the T50 Torx bolt in the back was tough. I hit it with PB blaster underneath and used a quality Torx bit with a 6" pipe on my 3/8's ratchet. I'll put never sieze on it when reinstall.

The seat upholstry just needs unclipped (plastic) and you can push it up and out of the way. 4 more bolts and the cable connection and it's out.

I disassembled the rear seat last month because the headrest would not lock. Just had to relubricate.

Oh, the new <font color="blue"> </font color> part was 1/2 of the dealer price if you order though GM Parts direct.
[img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 02:49 PM

Re: 99 Blazer (S-Series) - Broken Recliner handle FIX

Thanks for the info man... [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Tom
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 10:18 AM
dhenley

Can anyone tell me if the broken teeth on the recliner pose a danger on the road? My fiance would like her seat fixed, but I'm thinking it could wait for when I redo the headliner. Opinions? My main concern is that the teeth that are there will hold the seat in a rear end crash (and of course an '86 S-10 is unlikely to be moved a lot by most cars out there. Off-road I already brace the seat additionally anyway, so I'm unworried about that. [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-28-2004, 12:30 PM
gmcstep

I would replace it as soon as you could u never know what could let go...
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2004, 05:50 PM
braclark

If you don't want to take out the whole seat and replace the whole assembly, there is an aftermarket part that attaches to the broken stub. It's much cheaper than a whole new assembly and it doesn't break off. Besides, I heard that the re-designed part has the same problems as the original part.

Blazer Handle Fix

I've had these on my 98 blazer for a while with no complaints.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2004, 10:24 AM Thread Starter

I saw that part on eBay and was not really impressed. I felt it was over priced for what it was. If it was cheaper, say $10-15, I woulda tried that. Getting the seat out was not bad just the 1 torx bit was hard. The redesigned part is almost the same, except the "post" only has one slot instead of two. I don't think it will crack off as easy.

Oh, and it was the wife's Blazer. I can restify/modify my Silverado, but she prefers I do not experiment on her truck.

Oh, the only other thing I have had with the Blazer was that the rear glass in the hatch worked it self out. I found a used glass hatch, and it was like $300.

We bought the Blazer used with 30k miles, the warranty work done shortly after at the dealer included the front coil springs, oil pan gasket, transmission lines and rear seal in the tranny. Keep an eye one those lines!

Good truck for the last 30K miles she put on it, small gas tank though.
DG
[img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-18-2004, 10:17 AM
braclark

It is a design flaw. Especially using that pot metal, you don't want to design a slot that creates any stress concentration areas. True, the last design had two stress concentration areas, and the new design only has one. But one is still too many with soft pot metal.

The price for the aftermarket part is a lot lower and it's a lot quicker to do. I have heard of the replacement shafts breaking, although it may be less frequent than the original part (half as frequent since it has half the design flaws?)
post #8 of (permalink) Old 05-23-2004, 10:05 AM
braclark

Now, if you buy the redesigned mechanism, you still have to buy a new handle that fits the new mechanism, right?

So how much does the dealer charge for a new handle?
And how much does GM parts direct charge?
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-07-2004, 03:54 PM
braclark

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I saw that part on eBay and was not really impressed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Be careful, because some of the parts on ebay are the ones made by "Help" and found at AutoZone.

The one that "help" makes is a one piece molded plastic part, and it fits over the broken shaft, and there is a little plastic tab on the inside of the handle that fits inside the slot on the shaft. This would be great if it was just for show (just don't USE it [img]images/graemlins/lame.jpg[/img]).

The one from wittydeals.com is actually four parts; the aluminum adaptor, the handle, the hardened set screw, and the cap screw that holds them together.

The adaptor is machined aluminum part with a threaded hole for the hardened set screw. The set screw bites into that slot in the shaft where the plastic tab on helps product goes. This aluminum part goes over the broken shaft and actually just replaces the broken pot metal part of the shaft with a much stronger aluminum.

The handle that comes with the kit is actually the same as the GM part (A metal sleave with two tabs and splines with a molded plastic handle around it). You could actually use your old handle if you wanted (unless it is the clip design).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode