Wanna help a jeep guy.. with s10 Master cylinder?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-15-2004, 07:41 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Wanna help a jeep guy.. with s10 Master cylinder??

I've swapped a S10/Blazer onto my 78 JEEP CJ5. It supposed to be a direct swap, with improved brakes. My pedal has too much travel. So I was hoping to get a few measurements. Here are the measurements I'm chasing... to double check against mine.

How much does your pedal move? From "top" to "bottom" of swing? How far is the "pivot" of the pedal, to the push rod of the master cylinder? How far does your pushrod stick into the passenger compartment?

Thanks for any help...... I'm still not sure what I'm chasing....

Oh.. and the measurements just have to be close.... no need to break out the micrometers..... I'm just trying to figure how far I'm outta line....

Thanks,
Drew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 12:55 AM

Re: Wanna help a jeep guy.. with s10 Master cylinder??

Drew

Just a question, did you bench bleed the master cylinder? I ask this because I know from personal experience that air bubbles will stick in there if you don't first bleed the master cylinder before installing it. I rebuilt one on a CJ7 I had and when I installed it and attempted to bleed it, I couldn't get it right. I pulled the lines off, bled it and tried again and voila, it worked.

I don't have the S10 Blazer available this weekend but next week, when it's back if you haven't had any answers to your questions, I'll get them for you.

Later
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-19-2004, 12:14 PM Thread Starter

Yes, I've bench bled the master cylinder. I've done brakes about a zillion times, but this "system" I have is far from stock (s10 mc/booster - crown vic rear disks/jeep pedal and proportioning valve). I was hoping the measurements would tell me if I'm within "normal" working range of the master cylinder. I have the booster and master cylinder from the same truck, so nothing special there. But I'm not getting enough pressure to the rear brakes. I'm leaning towards the master cylinder being bad, but I've never seen one just NOT WORK. I thought they usually just leaked when they went bad. I'm hoping to get it worked out on Saturday evening. But looking for information in the mean time.

Thanks.
Drew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 10:24 PM
jeepxj66

The S-10 master is for drum rear brakes. It is not designed to apply the same pressure to the rear as the front.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2004, 11:39 AM Thread Starter

I was hoping to get the TRAVEL of a stock S10 push rod, so that I could see if I'm in the ballpark of functioning. If my pedal isn't moving far enough, then it's not going to matter what master cylinder I had on there. However, if I'm moving far enough, then switching the master cylinder would be an answer. I didn't want to buy several different master cylinders without knowing where I stand.

I'm researching disk/disk master cylinders right now. But my setup is SUPPOSED to work as is. And it's hard to find any dimensional information about master cylinders (inner bores/fluid movement). So I'm basically flying blind....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode