need help please - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 01:08 PM
OhioOffRoad

need help please

I have an 89 s-blazer with a 4.3L, auto, & 123000 miles. My problem is that sometimes when I leave a stop light it acts like it is only running on 2 cylinders. When I push the gas pedel to get up a hill (even if I'm running 70 mph) it starts to cut out like it has a bad miss. I changed fuel filter, TBI base gasket, cap, rotor, coil & I'm going to put plugs & wires on this week. Has any one had this problem before. I was told that it could be the lock up converter but it acts like a ignition or fuel problem to me. Thanks for any help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-04-2004, 02:52 PM

Re: need help please

I've never had it my vehicles do that to me, but I understand that the fuel pump, when going bad may cause the symptoms you're describing. The only fuel pump I had go bad just cut out completely. See if you can search for that issue and come up with a way to troubleshoot it. Supposedly you can check the fuel pressure before the TBI.

Good luck
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-24-2004, 11:03 PM
jeepxj66

This is a long shot but I had a similar problem in a 95 Safari van that had the Vortec 4.3. It would miss real bad on occasion but not every time. Eventually it got worse and would consistently miss causing my top speed to be about 65mph. The miss was very noticeable. It was pinging at times. Sounded like a serious ignition problem. Then I noticed it was not shifting right like the motor was missing bad enough that it would not get enough rpms to reach the shift point. Finally (about a total of 3000 miles since the problem was first noticed) it got so bad that it would not do 30 mph at full throttle. I kept my foot in it to try and figure out what was going on. It finally backfired real loud and took off way fast. Turned out the whole problem was an internally collapsed muffler. Did nothing more than replace the muffler and it ran great.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 03-31-2004, 02:41 PM

On my 94 S15 Jimmy with the CPI 4.3 I had problems with my EGR. Threw an engine code, and acted up just like you are describing. I just cleaned it out and it wouldn't act up for another 3-6k miles, then I would have to clean it again.

Tom
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode