Newbie - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2004, 06:12 PM
mudhole

New to the site. Hopefully I came to the right place. A question I have is: I've got an 89 S-10, 4.3l 4x4. I don't see any coil springs in front. Is there a torsion bar or something in front keeping the body off the wheels besides the shocks? My front driver tire "bounces" at any speed (especially hi-speed). Could the torsion bars be attributed to this? I have uneven wear (inside & outside) on the tread surface of the tire. Just the driver side though. If it were an alignment issue, both tires would have erradict wear on them right?? Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 02-14-2004, 09:09 PM

Re: Newbie

Mudhole

Tire alignment could be off on only one side. Your bouncing, I would first attribute it to the uneven tire (unbalanced). Try rotating the tires and see if the bouncing follows one tire. If so, which I expect it to, replace the tire and get an alignment before the next tire wears out on you. Welcome to the site. Not too many hits here but hopefully it'll get better.

Oh and yes there are torsion bars up front.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 02-15-2004, 09:16 PM
Addict

Yes it has torsion bars ... no they are not your problem ........ you have a balance issue and maybe a shochk issue also ... take the tire off and roll it around... if you hear a screwdriver bouncing around inside of it you won't be the first ......also I'd say new shocks would be a decent idea
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 05:03 AM
mudhole

Info thus far is very much appreciated. Keep it coming. Another question I have is: Any suggestions or advice on a lift?? Either a 2-3" body &/or a suspension lift. Who to contact & average costs associated would be great if the info is available.

I am fairly new to 4 wheeling (the past 5-6 yrs.) Would like to learn as much as I can in regards to the make/model truck I have. I have a Chiltons, but obviously this is only good for OEM & not beefing up the suspension &/or the engine. What are your thoughts on the K & N air filter/intake charging system?? Again... thanks for the info, hope to utilize this site for research & application.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 02-16-2004, 05:02 PM
Addict

do a search as these questions get asked almost weekly
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-14-2004, 11:25 PM
sfa_s10

hey ya for ur lift issue there are kits u can buy which will run around $100 depending on model (ext. reg. cab) but if your are feeling either cheap you can actually make your own body lift fairly simply ( im doin one to mine too) all you to is get some heavy duty steel tubing and cut it 2-3" long depending on your desireded lift the get longer carriage bolt re use stock bushing (if shot hockey pucks can be used instead) and just bolt it all together (depending on lift you may also have to extend the shift linkages)

as far as specs go your truck with the 4.3l v6 puts out 160hp, 230 ft/pds of torque and and if you want anymore info there alot of info on the site FAQ's

p.s. the K&N filter is a good idea unless it is an open filter (no case) because if it is open and you get in to some high water or mud or even sand on one of your offroad trips it can be sucked into the filter seriously damaging the engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode