Looking at 98-01 ZR2's... any advice? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 04:28 PM Thread Starter

Looking at 98-01 ZR2\'s... any advice?

I've been looking at late model ZR2 extracabs with the 4.3 and both trannies, with between 40-65K miles on em. Is there anything I should be on the lookout for, or any trouble spots to be aware of? I did some searching and all I could find was ball joint trouble. Also, what kind of mileage do these trucks get? I don't care about city mileage, but would like to see 20+MPG on the interstate at 75MPH. Thanks...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 11-15-2003, 08:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Looking at 98-01 ZR2\'s... any advice?

I have a 2000 S10 reg cab LS model with stock tires I was getting 20-22 on highway @ 75 0n cruise. I've been told by friends who have a Z72 2000 ext. cab they get between 20-21mpg on highway. Dont expect more than 22mpg @ best Only problem I had was BALL JOINTS cant seem to find heavyduty ones any where Z72's are nice trucks. OFF road not bad either IF YOU DO LIFT IT more than 3 inch and go bigger than 33inch tires you will have problems breaking cv joints balljoints Ujoints There are nice trucks just dont over do it with them . I love my S10 I made up my mind to lift it EVERYTHING i read said no more than 3inch lift and 33inch tires at max. that will be triming out wheelwells 2inches and i will find out in the spring if it works if not i will be selling tires+rims Oh bye the way balljoints last around 30-40K make sure they been re placed and try to get extened warranty that will cover balljoints to75k I LOVE MY LITTLE TOY TRUCK GOES ANY WHERE in the woods with in reason
post #3 of (permalink) Old 11-16-2003, 12:12 AM

Mileage is really going to depend on how heavy your foot is. I had a '98 regular S-10 4x4 and I only got about 17 mpg because I was a shift fanatic (manual trannies are cool with a good V6!).

Anyway, couple friends have ZR2's and love 'em. So far one has blown a motor and the other has busted an injector, but they are still reliable vehicles (the motor was replaced under warranty).

Best thing is that companies are making stuff for the ZR2, but not really for the "regular" trucks, which is one reason I got rid of mine and bought a full-size...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 11-27-2003, 11:46 PM
maherj

I had a '98 ZR2 and loved it, for the most part. They are strong engines but the interior is made from cheap plastic and the brakes are horrible. I've heard that the brakes on the S-10's are same ones that use on their mid size cars. In any case they are way under powered. My truck got 16 mpg consistantly, the best I ever got on a trip to California was 19.8 and if I was on the gas hard the milage would get down around 11. Also the alternator went out at 40K under normal use but it was covered under warrenty.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 12-03-2003, 11:55 AM

Don't know much about the s10 but don't leave out the 98-2000 TRD Tacoma! They are great trucks. I know they only have the 3.4 but it is a strong engine and with the supercharger and fuelupgrade kit you can push some major power and still get 20MPG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode