A/C compressor running all the time... - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 10-09-2003, 10:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

A/C compressor running all the time...

Hey guys, First I want to say whats up. Im new here but have a site like this for my car. Just bought a 95 sonoma a couple weeks ago. 4wd, 4.3 L.

Ive noticed that, even with the ac off, the compressor is always turning on and off. Im pretty sure this in not suppost to be that way. I cant pull the fuse b/c then i dont have heat either. I was thinking that theres probably a relay thats bad, but i dont know where it is at.

It doesnt blow cold air unless you turn the switch to A/C. For now, I just unplugged the compressor on the top to keep it from running. Any advice is much appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 10-10-2003, 08:45 AM

Re: A/C compressor running all the time...

<font face="Comic Sans MS">It is perfectly normal for the AC compressor to be cycling on and off when the AC is on, and also when it is set to defrost.

Try it in the other positions on the selector thing and see if it still cycles...</font>
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-14-2003, 08:29 PM
imported_stimpy2

Re: A/C compressor running all the time...

Befor I say anything that may insault your intelagence, I am the last person to say anything bad about how smart a feller is but look at your controller or slector knob. see if thair is a line that goes from your max a/c to a/c or panle to feet and panle vents that should be the climate controled by the a/c compressor. from thair it if it goes to off to defrost than defrost feet and last is feet. if this is the way your slector knob is set up your a/c compressor should only be completly out of the control loop when you have selected feet or the off position. either that or you have a cross short feeting power to the compressor that isn't calling for cooling. it would be cutting in and out also called short cycling because the high pressure switch kills power to the relay turning off the compressor until the pressure drops. the pressure increase is caused by the expansion valve (that controles the flow of freon) being closed because it is too cold in the cab of the truck. other than that I can't think of anthing else that would cause the compressor to keep running all the time unless you controls are brocken and it is stuck in a/c mode.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode