84 jimmy needs help - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 03:04 PM
sjones_03

84 jimmy needs help

i baught a 84 jimmy with the 2.8 in it. it was backfiring through the intake. changed the cam that problem is fixed now if thats IF i get it started its idiling rough. if i put it in drive or reverse it stalls, if i bring up the press on the gas pedel it will start to skip and then stalls. i changes the spark plugs, spark plug wires, cap, rotor, triple checked that it was timed right, checked all the vaccum lines and replaced the ones that where starting to crack. i did a compression test and on all six cylinders i have around 90 psi. on one cylinder the spark plug was covered in oil when i puled it out and when i did the compression test the tester was covered in oil when i pulled it out. that would indacate that the rings are bad right? if it is i see that i have 2 choices, 1 is to rebuild it and 2 is to swap in a new/used motor. which one would be cheaper? which one do you guys recomend? what tools would i need to rebuild it? what misc parts would i need? thanks for all the he [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]lp
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-22-2003, 06:33 PM
imported_stimpy2

Re: 84 jimmy needs help

You may have a cracked piston as well you might want to check the valves to see if thay are sticking. A stuck valve could have puncured you piston. If the valves are sticking and your piston was damaged you'll need to rebuild it and might have to replace the heads, pistons and lifter rods at the worst for a rebuild. At Walmart in the hunting and fishing section you can buy a bore light used to send light through the nipple of a musleloader barlle, so you can see if you did a good job cleaning it. It helps also to light up the inside of the cylindes without having to pull the head off by sliding it throught the sparkplug hole without blocking your view. This way you can see if anything is dammaged. If nothing is wrong it will be safe to say your rings are bad and you will just need to rebuild and rebore the cylinder walls to ensure thay are round and if that were the case i would strock it to a 3.4L. The extra power will make the rebuild more worth your wile.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 10-06-2003, 04:45 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: 84 jimmy needs help

Concider this upgrade... replace your engine with a goodwrench (chevy parts) 3.4 ltr replacement crate motor and put an edelbrock manifold on top with a 390 cfm holly 4-bbl carb.... I did it.. what a little rocket.... my 84 blazer never ran this good.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode