High mileage on original 4.3, or not? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 09:30 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

High mileage on original 4.3, or not?

I own a '91 GMC S-15 Jimmy SLE. It currently has 253,036 miles on the original engine. Most people I tell this to tend to freak a little, then congratulate me once they fully recover. Back when it had only 188,000 miles on it my regular mechanic would marvel at the mileage on it and the fact it ran so well.

My Jimmy still runs great (knocks on wood, furiously). As recent as May 2002 I hauled a 5x8' U-Haul trailer packed to the hilt from Cincinnati OH to the western suburbs of Detroit MI, and did the same in January 2002 from Buffalo NY to Cincinnati. That ole boy never gave me a worry on either trip.

Ok, so is that really a lot of mileage for a 4.3? I thought if anyone would know, you guys (and gals) would.

Thanks a lot!

lofty
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 09:13 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Re: High mileage on original 4.3, or not?

I don't know, but my Mom's 89 S10 Blazer has around 200k on it and still runs just fine. A few months ago I bought a 115k 4.3L out of an Astro van for my Dad to rebuild so the vehicle would have little downtime.

About 80k ago it splattered the 7.6" rear end all over the casing. It smoked the transmission at the 130k mark.

It's a little noisey and rumbles a bit when cold. The oil pressure is low and I bet there is no babbitt left on the mains.

It'll still beat my Dad's 89 K1500 with a 350 traffic light to traffic light and that motor runs like new other than blue smoke startup.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 09-04-2003, 09:38 PM
Can't Get Enough

I don't think that most people own a truck long enough to get 250,000 miles on it. That's a lot of miles for any engine. But if its still running good, that's great!
My 92 S10 had about 160k when I got rid of it. My Suburban has about 195k on it now.
Its all just good GM quality at work
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 08:24 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My 90 S10 Blazer has about 290,000 on it go figure uses a little oil put hasn't lost any horsepower. Go Figure.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 08:44 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My Jimmy doesn't use any oil at all. I check it regularly between oil changes, just in case, and so far, so good.

Of course I have to knock on wood again.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 09-09-2003, 08:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I think you're right, c_rock. I loved my truck so much when it was new (that's right, all them miles is mine!) I said I was going to drive it til it dies. Now, I'm just curious how far it will go.

I'm sold on GM though, that's for sure. I'm not sure what my next vehicle will be. I've found even with Michigan winters I haven't used my 4-wheel drive all that much...

'Cept on the dunes at Silver Lake, on Lake Michigan! Oh yeah!

I bought my truck originally to be a work horse on my farm, and I worked that poor ole boy hard. So, it hasn't been all fun and games for him.

lofty
post #7 of (permalink) Old 09-12-2003, 06:15 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

My 92 has 235k on it and it runs as good as the day I bought it. Never had any motor problems, or changed the Auto Trans fluid. Run it hard. Haul heavy loads all the time. [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode