2.8 Rod Knock - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 08-24-2003, 10:02 PM Thread Starter

2.8 Rod Knock

I got an s10 from california the other day (no rust in michigan is rare!) for free. The cab/front clip and box are seperate from the frame but it is all there. The 2.8 was knocking (heard it before my friend tore it apart) and I don't know if it would be easier (cost effective) to get a used 2.8 or to get a set of bearings and plastigauge them as install to see if machining is required... It is only 2wd and its automatic, but I think it would be a good little truck for me. If anyone from michigan has a 2.8 that runs smooth and is available, let me know. I also have a running 4bolt 350 that I could trade and a bunch of parts for many other cars. I have a 12 bolt rearend too...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 08-25-2003, 09:38 PM Thread Starter

Re: 2.8 Rod Knock

Is it worth rebuilding this engine or just getting a used engine? Anybody have input?
post #3 of (permalink) Old 08-26-2003, 04:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

I had bearings put in my 2.8 acouple months ago. For me it was WAY cheaper to do bearings, than an different motor. But I only paid for the parts, my uncle wouldnt let me pay him labor. If the motor is still in the truck Id stick with tossing a new set of bearings in and calling it good, if its out of the truck you might want to put a different one in, or rebuild yours. The best thing would be to take your 350 4 bolt, and toss than in your s-10 [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2003, 11:44 AM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">The 350 would be fun, however remember it'll probably require you to find an oil pan that will work that won't hit the IFS chunk, will require a different transmission, if it's a 4wd, that might entail having to relocate transfer case, and therefore change the length of the drive shaft and lots of other little changes that'll nickle and dime you to death most likely...

***EDITED BELOW THIS LINE***

Didn't notice that it's just 2wd... In that case you only have one drive shaft to deal with the length of obviously... And you can swap in a th350, th400, or one of the newer autos with overdrive... No worries about adapter to t-case... Should be a bit easier... The front suspension might be easier to work around too since there'll be no front differential in there... That should prove to be an interesting project if you manage to decide to go that way...</font>
post #5 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2003, 12:57 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

OK MI

I have a Blazer 2.8 it is smooth on the innerworkings but could use a carb. YOu didn't say what year your blazer is so I am assuming it isn't very new. Mine is an 84. The engine has a lot of miles on it but it is still in good shape. It has a few leaks and all but if you are taking it out and putting it in it is the best thing to do to change the seals and all while you have it out. But you could take your 2.8 and strok it to a 3.4 for about $500.00 give or take a bit. And if you are interested in the engine I have It is in KY near Fort Campbell. And I would be willing to talk about a trade of sorts.
Let me know

Josh

If you are stuck in Iraq what do you do????? [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #6 of (permalink) Old 08-27-2003, 09:43 PM Thread Starter

Sorry, too far away. I emailed you earlier this week (my cousin is in 101st too).

Well, the local junk yard has a few running 2.8s and he said "a couple hundred" but I mentioned that I have some vehicles for him to pick up (5 junk/stripped vehicles) and a $50 vw beetle near complete and rusty, he said if I unbolt the 2.8 he will pull it and we would swap (my 6 cars/trucks total for his running 2.8). We both settled. For now, the 2.8 will be fine. I have a TH350 that the reverse went out of, it would be fun to build that and eventually build a 350 for it, but I decided to put my 350 I have now into my mud truck instead of having a blown (head gaskets and bearings and rings) big block. I will probably do the propane setup once again on the mudder because that engine, although blown, looked like new inside. NO CARBON BUILDUP after 15+ years in a school bus then in a mud truck! Well thanks for input, but I guess I solved it myself and got to clean up the yard while I was at it!

Thanks again...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode