Is 220-235 too hot for the 2.8 V-6? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 07-01-2003, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Is 220-235 too hot for the 2.8 V-6?

Ok, I'm a Jeep guy but I have the 2.8V-6. At idle with the A/C on it seems to really like 220-235 degrees. THis doesn't seem right sine it's in the red at 260. No room for error. I know some of the problem is the fact that I dont have any hood vents and the air is trapped under the hood. It just bakes in the Texas sun. That will be solved as soon as I find some vents. New radiator. Fan pulls fine. Theromastat is fine. What does y'alls 2.8's run at?

Thanks

1986 Jeep Cherokee Chief, 2.8V-6 with a 5 speed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 07-02-2003, 08:56 AM

Re: Is 220-235 too hot for the 2.8 V-6?

I've only had a 4.3, but it seems to me that 220 is OK, but up to 235 is too much, even with the AC on. And as open as a Jeep is, I can't see how adding vents is going to dramatically reduce that.

I would check to see what kind of thermostat your running and maybe tone it down a bit.
Then might consider getting either a bigger radiator, or putting in an auxillary fan.

Then again, sitting still with the AC on is going to move the temp up no matter what you do. Just make sure that it cools down to normal op temp when the Jeep is moving!
post #3 of (permalink) Old 07-13-2003, 12:02 PM Thread Starter
I Might Just Know What I'm Talking About

Re: Is 220-235 too hot for the 2.8 V-6?

You would be suprised at how my '86 is not open for air flow. It suprised me too but there is no air flow through the engine bay. You can tell by just cracking the hood that the hot air is trapped. When you crack it, the sides feel like someone turned on a really big hair dryer. I don't know why they engineered them like that but I've been reading a lot of problems like this with the older XJ's. As far as all the other stuff (radiator, thermostat, fan, etc.) been there done that. In HAZMAT they teach you K.I.S.S.- Keep It Simple Stupid so I always start with the simple stuff and move up. I did find out my timing is off. Normally one would be able to tell easily with a light but my carb is so screwed up it has a very eratic idle. Going to have to adjust this by ear....
Thanks for responding.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode