CB Radio wiring - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-25-2003, 09:09 PM
84S_10Blazer

CB Radio wiring

I bought a Cobra CB radio about 2 months ago and was trying to get rid of that static sound everytime I crank up the blazer. So I went and rewired the orange wire straight to the battery to get "cleaner" power to it. When I cranked it up, it still has a static interference but when I turn the AC on it doenst do it anymore. Is there anyway to eliminate this? I have the red wire to the fuse and the black ground to the AC unit and the orange wire to the battery. I dont think the black being ground to the AC unit shouldnt have anything to do w/ it b/c i have my offroad lights ground to the same place. Whats my problem?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-26-2003, 08:23 AM

Re: CB Radio wiring

It could be any number of things that cause the interference, from where the wires are run, to what they are connected to, to how you got the antenna wired through.

Search the net for using a capacitor to filter out some of the noise. You only need a cap in the microfarad range. That should help a lot with your line noise.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-29-2003, 12:07 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">What I do to eliminate RF interference from the engine is run both positive and negative leads from the cb directly to the battery. Also you should run a seperate ground from the *case* of the CB to part of the metal body of the vehicle... Or a small capacitor might help filter it out as well... To make an "RF Sniffer" to determine where the interference is coming from, take a scrap wire an antenna, strip back some of the insulation, and make a few loops around a broom handle making sure wire doesn't touch other parts of the loop... Put 50 ohm resistor between center lead and the shielding, and then just hook to radio, and sweep it around engine compartment, that should help detect where the interference is coming from...

www.wilsonantenna.com in their tech support/troubleshooting section goes over how to do that, as well as some other troubleshooting tips which apply even if you don't own a Wilson antenna...</font>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-01-2004, 01:30 PM
brandonfs88

Speaking of CB Wiring, i just bought a Maxon MCB-30, and i have it mounted and everything, now i just need to know how to Connect the CB to the Truck. can anyone please help me? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-07-2004, 12:11 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Connection to the truck is simple... There tend to be two schools of thought on how to hook one up. Some people like to just hook the positive wire into the fuse block and ground to the firewall... Personally I prefer to run the positve and negative wires through the firewall and connect directly to the battery. I then proceed to connect a wire from the case of the radio to the firewall... Then obviously the antenna needs to be connected. Make sure the antenna's SWR is adjusted before you try to transmit very much...</font>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode