A/C Woes - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-18-2003, 09:11 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

A/C Woes

I recently bought a great running '91 S10, 4.3L, auto, A/C. The A/C (R-12) would quit blowing cold air after a few minutes, and seemed to be freezing over. If you shut it off for an hour or so it would blow cold air for a few minutes and then go back to hot air. So I took the plunge and converted to R134 this afternoon. An easy procedure, but as I stood there holding the can(engine running, A/C at max like the instructions said) I wondered why it was taking so long to empty the first can. Then I noticed that the compressor wasn't cycling. My 18 year old started fiddling around with the compressor, when he touched the clutch it suddenly cycled on. Scarred the sh** out of both of us but no harm was done. It quickly sucked the bottom out of the first can, and while I was changing cans the compressor cycled of. Got hooked up again and it didn't cycle back on for several minutes. This time he touched the clutch with a wrench (once bitten...) and it came on. After completing the 134A fill we let it run for awhile and noticed that when the compressor cycled of, it wouldn't restart unless you applied mild pressure to the clutch. Anybody got and idea what this could be? I checked the elec. connection on top, and pulled it down and cleaned and CRC'd it with no difference. Am I gonna have to rig up some kinda Rube Goldberg hammer so I can pull a string from the drivers seat and start the compressor?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2003, 03:24 PM

Re: A/C Woes

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

Am I gonna have to rig up some kinda Rube Goldberg hammer so I can pull a string from the drivers seat and start the compressor?

[/ QUOTE ]

Gawd, I wish this forum had mod points for funny, insightful whatever like on Slashdot.

Anyway, when you say touch, do you mean lightly or with percussivue maintenance?

When the clutch kicks in does it really bog down the motor? Sounds like there is something happening between either a vacuum line or a relay to tell it to cycle through (ie, engage the compressor clutch).
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-19-2003, 06:10 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

J.R.
It starts with a light touch and it's consistant, not just a coinsidence. One guy told me that the clutch was worn and I could possiblty tear it apart and remove a shim to tighten it back up. I think the hammer deal is easier.

BTW..I'm a J.R. too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-20-2003, 11:07 PM
Addict

a little hammer work in three places around the face of the clutch closed the gap a little and fixed the same prob for me .... the clutch closes with an electromagnet and closing the gap a little can make all the difference in the world
post #5 of (permalink) Old 07-06-2003, 09:42 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Just an update, tried the hammer (selected a #2 ball-peen) trick and it seems to be working just fine now for some two weeks...thanks again guys
post #6 of (permalink) Old 07-08-2003, 05:21 PM
Addict

glad as heck to have been of service [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode