Aux lights - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 09:29 PM
GMC4x4

Aux lights

Just wondering where you guys put ur off road lights (HELLA, PIA) lights? As in how did you mount them, where did u mount them? its gonna be awhile before i can get my grille gaurd and i need to go ahead and put the lights on my truck. I am going to be doing a lot of driving at night in wooded areas. Do YOU have to drill into the bumper to mount them? Any suggestions would really help, thanks.

p.s.
yes i am a total dork.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 01:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Aux lights

There's alot of schools of thought on this one. Some like high mounts, others low. The major thing is what kind of illumination you want, legality, and the trails you run. Where I run, despite being in densely wooded areas, the ideal is to find the highest spot on the truck, and then go 6" higher, because it's not that often that you're gonna find a tree limb hanging THAT low. Other guys feel that the top side of the bumper is the best spot, because it won't interfere with your approach angle, and it won't snag on trees. HOWEVER, they will be vulnerable to low brush (there shouldn't be any, but some trails do overgrow over time, they should be maintained, and blazing new trail is never an option) and water crossings. Auxiliary lights throw alot of candlepower down the trail, and they create a MASSIVE amount of heat doing so. I made the mistake of washing winter road crud off a set of fog lights I had on my old truck, and ended up shattering a lense because I didn't let the lights cool enough. There's alos the bad mix between water & electricity to worry about too..
There are two holes in the underside of the bumper that can be used for mounting lights, but they're gonna be VERY vulnerable there. If I were you, I'd punch some holes in the top of the bumper for mounting your lights, or fab up a bracket you can bolt to the front of the bumper (baja bar/rally bar) through the stock bolt holes. choice is yours, options are limitless.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 05:48 PM
Addict

another option is some cb antenna mounts for the mirrors looks kinda odd and kinda cool at the same time ...... plus they [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] light your engine compartment with the doors and hood open
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-04-2003, 09:00 PM
Can't Get Enough

I've always mounted mine on top of the bumper. I rarely encounter brush on the trails I use that may hurt the lights.
I don't have any aux lights on my truck now, I just don't do much night ops.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode