quick question about 1984 s15 jimmy - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-25-2003, 09:34 PM
sjones_03

quick question about 1984 s15 jimmy

im looking to buy a 1984 s 15 jimmy, 2.8 v6, auto, 4wd. what the problems with these trucks. i know the 2.8 is weak, but anything i should look for??? [img]images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-26-2003, 06:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: quick question about 1984 s15 jimmy

Rusty rockers, rear quarters, wheel wells, etc.... Make sure the bottom end of the motor sounds tight. The 2.8's are naturious for loosing cranks. I think the tranny's tend to get soft to, but dont quote me on that.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 08:52 AM
Phazer

2.8 is a "gutless" wonder. Can't even fet out of it's own way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 09:47 AM
Can't Get Enough

I agree with Phazer. There is little you can do for the 2.8 to up the power. If possible, either find a truck with a 4.3, or look into upgrading to a 4.3 in the future.
I've owned 3 S10's in the past, two of them with 2.8's. The third one had the 4.3, and it made a big difference. [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 07:57 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

2.8Ls are junk. They aren't worth the powder to blow them up. They don't even make good boat anchors. They're worth about $30 in scrap cast iron. They weigh a lot more, more expensive to fix, and don't make much more in the way of horsepower than a 2.5L.

For some reason, all 2.8L 700R4s I've ever seen have failed. I don't know why.

As far as rust, look all over the place for it. Rockers, front body mounts, core support mounts, front frame horns, rear of the box, front and rear wheelwells, under the rear seat.... the list goes on.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 06-01-2003, 10:59 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The 2.8 I had in my 83 Jimmy was a rarity then... 200K miles with out a major engine overhaul before the bottom end went. I did go through 3 transmissions, and a transfercase however. the rockers will hold up as long as you don't put running boards on, and the quarters are a writeoff. keep the sucker fairly clean and the underside will last you a few years. replacement panels can be had for dirt cheap, and anything up to 93 truck-94blazer will fit. (FYI: my 88 2 door blazer has the hood from an 82 S15, and the passenger fender from a 94 4 door Blazer) If I were you, I'd look for an S-series with a 4.3 (88 or newer) or one with a swapped in 3.4 v6 (GM Performance Crate engine. makes just as much horsepower as the first TBI 4.3s did.)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 12:53 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

HEY!!!! Don't bash the 2.8. Theres no need of it. It's a perfectly fine motor. It gets me where I want to go. No its not going to haul a fully loaded trailer at highway speeds, heck mine will only spin the tires on dirt. Yes I just put crank and rod bearings in mine, but it has 180k and its almost 20 years old. I think the 2.8 has plenty of power to get from A to B. You just have to know how to drive it.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 04:53 PM
Addict

I rebuilt a 2.8 in an 87 s-10 4x4 .... the only changes i made were a compucam 2030 although I would go with the 2020 to bring the power band down to lower rpm's if I did it again... and used different pistons for @9.5:1 compression also was 30 over ..... stock comp and tbi with stock exhaust ......
the thing was VERY impressive for what it was .... smoked my buddies v8 f150 which ain't bad for a truck that got 22 mpg with 31's and 3.73's (3" body lift)

While there is no substitute for cubic inches anyone that says you can't do anything with a 2.8 hasn't done any research on the subject ..... I have a friend with one in a fiero with a turbo making 300+ hp ... (I'll never ride with him again) the whole time he was scaring the [bleep] out of me in traffic I thought that engine was gonna explode and kill us because it was turning over 8000 rpm at times and is of course only inches behind the seats ...... well he proved me wrong. last time I talked to him a month or so ago he had 45,000 miles and counting

sure it's a bit small for a 4x4 and even more so if ya want to pull a trailer but otherwise a HEALTHY 2.8 is not a bad motor
post #9 of (permalink) Old 06-02-2003, 09:59 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

The 2.8 is a bastard motor. It never made horsepower nor torque. Anyone that spends money on a 2.8 needs to have their head examined. The electronically-controlled carburetor ones were absolutely useless. The throttle body 2.5L would blow its doors off.

You're by far better off finding a 3.4L or a 4.3L. 4.3Ls can be found in junkyards everywhere since they came in so many things including Astro/Safari vans. Since 4.3Ls aren't nearly as coveted as a small block chevy you can usually pick them up for pretty cheap.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 06-03-2003, 05:09 PM
Addict

now I remember why I stopped posting here ... Oh well back to pirate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode