damn crazy wires! - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 05:42 PM
killabeez

damn crazy wires!

i have a wierd problem with the interior lights. when i have my headlights on, the dome light and guage lights cut in and out when i hit bumps. sometimes hitting the dashboard makes it do it so im thinking its something around there. my stock stereo never cut out with the lights, but now that i have a panasonic installed it cuts out too. it's wierd though because when the lights cut out they stay out 'til i hit another bump or start bashing the dashboard, however, the cd player comes right back on. this is driving me crazy because it's not just mountain driving now its all over. could it be a wire touching something and shorting out a bunch of times? please help me with this im clueless!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2003, 08:32 AM

Re: damn crazy wires!

Chasing wiring shorts is never fun. Hopefully it's something easy for you.

First off, if you're able to use "percussive maintenance" (works great on computers, other mechanical objects, and drunk friends) on the dashboard and get it to work from time-to-time, I would start with the switch panel. Pull out the switch and see if you can get the lights to cut out by moving the wires from where they go into the switch.

Then check at the fuse panel level. It may be difficult, but if you can get behind the panel and find the wire or wires that run the illumination / radio then it might just be loose right at the fuse.

Then of course you have grounding issues. That could be something. Again, it's difficult to find wiring problems unless your truck was built in the 50's.

Then just work your way down.

Your stereo might be coming right back up because there are at least two hot wires on there, and your settings, etc. are retained there. Sounds like just the hot line in there from the fuse panel (for power and sound; not the hot line for memory retention) is being affected...

I know it sounds vague, but that's all I got right now! [img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-17-2003, 10:10 AM
killabeez

Re: damn crazy wires!

i took it back and they replaced the ground wire and one other wire that they didn't replace initially. this helped but it's still doing it. it only happened initially in right turns, but now it happens anytime. mostly during bumps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode