beadlocks - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 09:56 PM
GMC4x4

beadlocks

Does any one know why real Beadlocks are not DOT approved? Just wondering.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 12:19 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: beadlocks

It's got something to do with the fact that they're prone to coming apart at high speeds, and they're not always properly torqued... I've never really been fond of them anyways... I'd personally rather run a narrower rim and let the sidewall pressure keep the bead on...
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 08:28 AM

I started rubbing my head on this one, only because I see race trucks off-road all the time with beadlocks that do 140 mph on a dry lake bed, and they don't come apart so easily.

It's a DOT approval issue, for the most part, but here's slightly more:

from high-impact.dot net:
quote from high-impact:

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />

<font color="yellow"> Are Beadlocks legal on the street? </font color>

NO beadlock wheel is DOT approved. Including the military Hummer wheel. (The military is exempt from such nonsense). Some of the better ones are certainly well built and obviously stronger than most OEM wheels.

Ours balance up and drive just fine. We have driven them from California to Colorado and Utah and back. We have had no problems. As for the strict definition "are they legal?" this is a question for a lawyer. I dunno. I hear lots of opinions, they donít all agree. Many people use them on the street. The DOT is a federal organization. Different states may have to be safer and stronger than factory DOT wheels. The problem is that the DOT has never written a specification for them to comply with, so they cannot "rubber stamp" them. Different states have different laws on whether you are required to comply with DOT approval, and on what parts. For liability reasons, I cannot legally endorse the use of beadlock wheels on the street.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tried finding out what the DOT has to say about it, and California VC, but came up with nothing so far...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-14-2003, 10:28 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

They're considered to be two piece rims and two piece rims are not legal for public road use. It's a safety thing. It's just like the braking device has to be directly connected to the wheels (ie, no driveline brakes).

However, most people's beadlocks are pretty safe if they monitor them. It's just when people ignore them (much like magnesium wheel's lugnuts) do they fail.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-16-2003, 01:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Hummer rims are DOT approved, I have many of them and will sell you a set if you like [img]images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] they have D.O.T. right on em. There are 2 I think companys right now that have D.O.T. approved beadlocks as well. And I know that Daniel at usa6x6.com is in the process of getting certified to stamp his wheels D.O.T. I think Hutchison (built the hummer rims for the military) is one of the DOT companys with there civilian type beadlocks.
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 02:22 PM
killabeez

Off Road Only makes RockLOX. aluminum beadlocks, DOT approved
post #7 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 02:25 PM
killabeez

pdaddy what sizes do you have available? [img]images/graemlins/chairfall.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode