New Process 203 Transfer Case - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 12:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

New Process 203 Transfer Case

I have a 1978 Chevy Blazer and am having a few problems with it. I was wondering if anyone could help me out. The first problem I am having is with the transfer case. I do not understand the range selector. I have a new process 205 in my other blazer and the range selector is from front to back goes in this order, Lowloc, Low, Neutral, High, Highloc. This is simple. On the 203 does the range selector operate in the same order? I bought books on the thing but it never tells me what order the range selector operates. The next question i have is that every time i put it in High(or what I think is High, assuming the range selector is the same for a 203 as it is for a 205) it will always slip out of High. It doesnt slip out of any other gear just high. Is something wrong with the transfer case or is high not really high gear, but some other gear?
Please help me because it is really getting on my nerves because that is the last thing i lack in order to have the drive train completely finished. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 06:58 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: New Process 203 Transfer Case

Uhh, you might wanna check the Fullsize forum... we're S-10 guys here... I can't tell you much about the 203, but I can tell you plenty about the 231 [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-15-2003, 10:50 PM
Addict

here ya go ..... your "205" with the h-loc, h, n, l, and l-loc is actually a 203 and your other case may be a 205 but in a blazer it is prob also a 203 .... the 205's have from front to back, 2-hi, 4-hi, n, and 4-lo ..... there are 4 positions on 205's and 5 on a 203 so you can get a pretty good idea of what case you have by just counting notches from front to rear ..... does the truck that "jumps out of gear" have a body lift? if so you probably need to trim the floor around the shifter to let is go all the way into gear
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-29-2003, 12:43 PM
Way Outta Control

Not to argue, but my 205 in my '72 full sized PU is
Front to back, front meaning toward the front of the vehicle:

dash, 4Lo, N, 2Hi, 4Hi, seat.

--- it's marked on the knob and also works that way.

Maybe there are several variations?

It's definatly a gear type part time transfercase, and there's the original plate that confirms it.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 06-06-2003, 12:09 AM

The NP 203 is typically installed as a full-time 4WD unit. Because the NP 203 is full-time, it will typically wear slightly faster than a lockout-type T-case. The T-case in your Blazer is probably in need of an overhaul, unless you have outside interference on the shifter linkage. Most of the Blazers around that year are full-time 4WD, as is my '77. One question... do you have locking hubs up front, or solid filler plugs (in the hubs)?
If you have no manual locking hubs, it's still set up as a full-time system.

A few aftermarket companies make a conversion kit to change over to lockout 4WD (manual-locking hubs and different mesh gears for transfercase), which saves wear and tear on the drivetrain. If not yet converted, you might tear down the T-case and inspect it for wear, and install the lockout kit at the same time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode