SAS-axles from a 1978 F100..anyone tried?? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 07:02 AM Thread Starter

SAS-axles from a 1978 F100..anyone tried??

I'd like to get this rust bucket and use its axles...The dana 44 up front is good but I've never delt with ford 9" rears before I wanted a dana 60 in the rear. Will the 9" inch handle offroading with 35's possibly 36's?? I've heard both good and bad, but I'd rather advice from the experts,, so let me have it..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 08:16 AM

Re: SAS-axles from a 1978 F100..anyone tried??

The 9" is a very popular upgrade. Depending on the spline count, it should be very strong. Heck, even with the lower (28, I think) spline count it should be OK!

The 9" also has a hidden benefit - it has a slimmer profile than the Dana 60. Even with the large tires, you won't feel like your dragging your nuts on the ground!

NOTE: Sorry about the comparison of axles to testicles. It's the only way I can describe it! [img]images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 07:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Well, Fords have always run a driver's side diff, so that's good. Dunno if the F100s used coils or not... Coils are GOOD, unless you're a hardcore mud bogger, and yes, the 9" is a plenty stout axle to run 35" tires on... hell, with the 31 spline 9" you can even run 38s or even 40s with a built 4.3 or a mild 350 (I'd just start worrying about the Dana 44 at that point)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 09:00 PM Thread Starter

Thanx for the info...These third members would be super easy to regear and load up a locker..
post #5 of (permalink) Old 05-19-2003, 02:58 PM
killabeez

how much welding is going to be required to run coils?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 05-20-2003, 12:09 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

I'm planning on doing a mostly bolt-on setup... using jeebus big grade 8s. Only things I think I'll be welding are the threaded bungs for the heim joints to spin into the links, the mounts that will bolt into the frame.

The June issue of Peterson's has a really good special on how to set up and run coil suspension. That, and coupled with what I've heard from alot of people, coils are a PITA to set up, but hella good for ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode