Lil Blazer - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
Old Hand

Lil Blazer

I'm posting this for a friend so dont flame me for being a Ford guy.

My boss has a blazer and he says his fan went thru his radiator. A shop quoted him $900 for a new radiator fan/clutch and water pump. Is this a common problem with these trucks? Are there any other problems lurking that could have caused this? Is this indicative of a larger problem that should be addressed first? I can do the work no problem for the guy but i want to make sure it's done right. Like i said i drive a Ford and know them like the back of my hand. The lil Chevys are new to me. I'm not even sure what motor or year it is. When i get more info i'll update you guys.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 11:16 AM

Re: Lil Blazer

Well, Ford / Chevy; it's pretty much the same, aside from maybe a serpentine belt.

What I don't understand is how the fan went THROUGH the radiator (or into). That means that something had to move, and they're not supposed to.

Either the front end moved inward, or the fan slipped off its mounting and moved forward. Also, it would be a good idea to make sure your motor mounts aren't busted. They just shouldn't come in contact without external influence!

For that price I'm assuming installation as well. I know that a good used radiator shouldn't cost more than $250-$350 (modine).

Man, the only time I've heard of fans going through a radiator was when the front end was crushed on impact. [img]images/graemlins/thud.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 11:51 AM
Can't Get Enough

Maybe the radiator itself came loose onto the fan.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 09:29 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Find out why this happened first.

A new radiator will run ~$190 for one with an ATF cooler. A clutch fan will run around $80 for an expensive one. A water pump will be ~$30 depending on where you go.

I can only foresee one potential problem and that is the belt tensioner. They're known for wearing out and breaking internally. They'll continue to work as long as you don't disturb them. When you remove the belt be very careful with the belt tensioner. if you slowly release they usually survive. A new one is $100. I've successfully jerry-rigged a couple over the years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode