Must apply brake to shift from park I HATE SAFETY - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 09:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Must apply brake to shift from park I HATE SAFETY

My dad bought an '03 S-10. Great little truck. The one thing me and him HATE is this Must apply brake to shift from park deal. What do I need to do to take this little safety thing off. His '94 s-10 did not come with this.

[img]images/graemlins/AR15firing.gif[/img]safety features
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 12:25 AM

Re: Must apply brake to shift from park I HATE SAFETY

Leave it, it also prevent wear and tear on teh transmission
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 08:58 AM
Addict

you should always have your foot on the brake before you shift from park any way .... my 95 lumina had the same feature and it would piss me off once in a while but most of the time i didn't even notice it. you'll get used to it.
.... ever see one of those video clips where a toddler is in a car and puts it in gear and a parrent is dragging on the ground while the car goes in circles in reverse ...... kinda looks like it could hurt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 09:07 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

not to flame but I didn't ask your opinions on the matter. I don't have toddlers, dogs, or women driving my truck. I've had 5 new chevy trucks [69,75,86,94,03] and not one has ended up with a transmission problem or in a lake. If you can't help plz don't even reply.
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 02:10 PM
Addict

if you are gonna be an ass stay off our forum
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 09:37 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Knock it off guys... The guy asked a question, didn't really want to be bothered with the other stuff... Yeah it could be a safety issue, if you let everybody who uses the truck know about it, then it's a non-issue...

I don't have a newer one but I think it *must* draw it's signal from in the brake switch. I think you might want to spend the money on a Factory Service Manual. They are around $100 and give you every last drop of the data your dealership or mechanic would use to diagnose, fix, repair the vehicle, etc... Including a comprehensive wiring schematic... Good luck...</font>
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 10:54 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Must apply brake to shift from park I HATE SA

this is just an opinion. i have left my caddy in "n" many times without thinking when i park. its flat. used to 2 clicks to park not 3 like caddy has. i also had that brake to release park. i think its a good feature, specially if u don't use the ebrake. i would think about keeping it, the new truck will probally driven by more ppl than the older and it would be benefitial to both the owner and other drivers to not have to worrry bout anything going wrong on it when its parked on a hill or kids are in or out.

theo/stuper
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 05:23 PM
Carpal \'Tunnel

Go buy yourself a manual for your truck. You can look in the wiring diagram to see what to do about it. It probably works off ground so it shouldn't be too hard to figure it out.

post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-19-2003, 10:58 PM
mikrosilakhan

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
not to flame but I didn't ask your opinions on the matter. I don't have toddlers, dogs, or women driving my truck. I've had 5 new chevy trucks [69,75,86,94,03] and not one has ended up with a transmission problem or in a lake. If you can't help plz don't even reply.

[/ QUOTE ] \

Easy fix, cut the brake lines and weld the pedal to the floor
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2003, 07:53 AM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">What in the hell is everybody's problem on this thread? Enough with the stupid comments and whining not to do it already... If y'all don't have any *constructive* input, just leave it alone... I've operated vehicles that had that feature and I too found it to be quite annoying... I'm pondering disabling the clutch safety switch on my S truck as well... Yeah it's not safe if some total moron jumps in and tries to use it, but thankfully I never let those types drive my vehicles...

One piece of advice about doing this modification to the brake safety interlock system, *MAKE IT EASILY REVERSABLE" so when you let an idiot use it or go to sell it you can easily return it to it's original condition for liability reasons, etc...</font>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode