Plug #5 in '99 Jimmy - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 01:36 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Plug #5 in \'99 Jimmy

How do you get plug #5 (middle plug on driver's side) out on
a '99 Jimmy 4.3L. You cannot put a standard plug socket in there as it cannot clear the steering column at any angle. No combination of U-joints make this happen as the socket itself is too long. My buddy suggested a crow's foot. Does this do it or do you need a special tool? Please don't tell me to disconnect the steering. Thanks for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 02:18 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: Plug #5 in \'99 Jimmy

I did it 2 months ago and i donīt remember exactly that plug, but it's not easy (i have big hands ). I took everything i could use to take it out. The good thing is: no, you don't have to remove the steering and you don't need a special tool neither.

post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 04:47 PM
Addict

use a long extension and go in from the fender well (over the tire)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 01:16 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Thanks gottago, but that is really not the answer in this case.
I jack up and remove tires to get to the remaining five plugs with extensions in all cases and U-joints/extension in 2 or three cases. #5's tip is maybe and inch off the steering axle. You just cannot angle a plug socket in. Did a web search and found comments from some Chevy garage in Mo, Weber Chevrolet. They have and archive on the problem. He suggests a Snap On, MAC or Cornwall tool that is a double jointed plug socket with extension built into it. It is a $40 tool on the Snap On site which seems to have a wide variety of plug sockets. They have a short socket that may work in this situation as well. Problem is, his solution still looks like there is not much head space. He shows the tool at this site: http://www.weberchevrolet.com/service/tech/wrench.jpg

I guess it is worth a try. I am a weekend warrior who knows enough to be dangerous. I also have to explain to the wife how much money we are saving by me buying all these special application tools. Oh well!
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 05:59 PM
Addict

well your truck must be different from all the others s-10's I've changed the plugs in ..... they were all a pain in the arse but i was able to do it without special tools .... there are other options however ..... if you absolutely can not get on the plug the bottom or top od the steering column extension shaft can be removed very easily ... if you don't want to do that try a floor jack under the engine ( use a block of wood so you don't crush the oil pan) there may be enough give in the motor mounts to let you get to the plug and if there isn't you can remove the motormount bolt on the driver's side and you will definately have room ......should take no more than 30 minutes and probably more like 10
what plug are you working on the middle plug(#3) or #5
#3 is the one that is usually a pain
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 10:42 PM

Hey,

The #3 plug in the left bank is the plug hidden behind the steering shaft on the Vortec 4.3. Just jack up the front end @ the crossmember to achieve "suspension droop", and you can use a Craftsman 5/8" swivel plug socket with a 24" & 18" extensions, and the plug will come right out (from behind the shock mount plate). Wrap a small amount of electrical tape around the swivel joint on the socket and down around the first extension where it connects to the socket (this keeps the socket from being too floppy and also keeps the socket on the extension.
Always use antisieze compound on the plug threads, and install new plugs by hand. Use a piece of 3/8" fuel line about 8" long, with a little oil or grease rubbed into the end to install the new plugs (lubricant keeps plug from sticking inside fuel line). It keeps you from getting burned on hot exhaust manifolds, and makes it easier to thread in the plug on those hard-to-reach plug holes. I wouldn't use anything other than AC Rapidfire plugs unless you are going with an aftermarket ignition system. Don't buy Bosch or Autolite plugs because they're cheap... you'll be changing them out soon if you do.
[img]images/graemlins/scs.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 10:52 PM
Addict

HEY, I just remembered the really cool trick i figured out the last time I changed mine........ Use a sparkplug socket with a hex drive on the back and use a box end wrench on the hex (I suppose that's why it's there) worked slicker than sheet [img]images/graemlins/burnout.gif[/img]
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 12:48 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sweet! I did say I knew enough to be dangerous. This should give me just enough clearance. Yes, it would be #3. Thanks.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 12:51 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Great. You and gottago have similar approaches. This is a great forum. Us neopytes would normally have to pay for common sense stuff like this. Thanks Hammerdown.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-18-2003, 11:56 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Ok here's the scoop with me, I was able to break the plug loose with the plug socket and wrench deal but then I ran out of room to turn it out more then 2 turns. Since it was still a little snug yet I took an open ended wrench heated it up and bent it to my angle needed. Works like a charm.
Wayne
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode