Changing tranny filter - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 11:45 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Changing tranny filter

First of all, hi to everybody. I recently bought a 98 Chevy Blazer 4wd (it's my second american car)and i'm changing every fluid in the car, but now at last i'm facing the auto tranny . The last owner had the great idea of installing a side step, but he soldered it to the chassis. Of course he did it over the holes for the bolts of the crossmember under the tranny pan.
I live in Spain, and the sidesteps are not legal here, so i had to uninstall them, but i left the plates soldered. So the question is, can i change the filter with the crossmember on? I read something about pushing the axle or the rear diff up.
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 11:07 PM

Re: Changing tranny filter

Take your new purchase to a shop that can flush out the transmission with a remote flush machine.
The service is expensive (usually around $150.00 American), but it saves a lot of time and heartache.
See, on some models, you have to drop the exhaust and crossmember just to get the trans pan off.
You run the risk of breaking exhaust studs when pulling the header crossover pipe, and it IS NOT FUN to drill out broken exhaust studs under the truck.

With the new flush machines that are available to service shops now, you really don't need to do the work yourself.
The new machines remove over 99% of all particulate matter (dirt/crud), and you do not have to change the filter out because of that fact. On top of that, when you do a service, or change the filter out, you only drain out about 40% of the old fluid. The rest of the fluid remains inside the transmission and mixes with the new fluid that you dump in... = Throw money out window now! The flush machines achieve a 100% fluid exchange every time.

The machines used now do not use an external pump (they use the transmission's pump to flush out), whereas the older machines used a remote pump, which could overpressurize and damage the transmission. Be sure to ask if the flush machine has its own pump, or uses the trans pump!! Any good flush machine will use about 15 NEW quarts of trans fluid on the flush itself, and the trans will be topped off with more new fluid.

All in all, it's a lot better investment, and you want to take good care of that transmission. The 4L80E (the trans you have) is very picky about proper and regular service, it's electronically controlled, and it's very expensive... a LOT MORE EXPENSIVE than trasns flushes are.

182000 miles on 94 Tahoe, and it doesn't burn oil, leak, or anything else!

Have fun.

[img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 12:11 AM
Keyboard Implanted

i had my tranny flushed (T-tech) and then a good friend changed the tranny filter for me....cross member was SOOO in the way. dealers will charge about $150 US just to do the filter change after the flush charge. i would do both but find a better alternative than paying $300
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2003, 04:50 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sorry, but i've been on a trip and couldn't reply.
First of all, tanks, i think it's a great idea flushing the transmision but here Dexron III is impossible to find but in the Chevy dealer or very few import shops (i know only one) so guess that machine
The good news is i didn't have to remove the crossmember or exhaust pipe, i have a very little wrench for those bolts under the pipe, and for the shift cable holder (or whatever it's called) i bent 90º a fixed #10 wrench (believe me, it's hard to use) to reach the bolts under it.

Here american cars aren't very popular, now everybody buy little 1.9L turbo diesel engines. So most think i'm crazy 'cause i have a Pontiac Firebird and a Chevy Blazer. Now my next car will be a Corvette

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-20-2003, 07:58 AM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">What's it like over there? Got a moment to post a few pictures of the place? Is there any good off roading available over there? Trails and stuff like that? </font>
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 07:13 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Give me some time and i'll give you an idea of the kind of off-roading we have here.

[img]images/graemlins/40BEER.gif[/img]
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 06:16 PM

<font face="Comic Sans MS">Sounds good to me... [img]images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img]</font>
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2003, 02:01 AM

Hey,

The point is, like I said before, that you don't even have to change the filter any more if you can find a shop that has a newer style flush machine. A lot of the filters aren't even "filters" anymore, they're just micro-mesh screens.

The new trans flush machines remove at least 99% of all clutch material and other crud if performed correctly. I don't even drop the trans pan on any of my vehicles now, because it's easier to just have the trans flushed. And, like I said, it's a 100% fluid exchange.

You can't beat that!!
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2003, 04:49 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Yes, I know what you say, but the situation here is not like in USA. 99% of the cars are manual, and the standard tranny oil is Dexron II. In the dealer, you have to take there your own jugs to fill them cause they only bring the oil in 25 gallons bins.
I really like american cars, but sometimes it's hell to own them here (they fright the mechanics when they see it)
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-23-2003, 06:12 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Sounds kinda like how owning an import made a North American mech cringe a few years ago :P
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode