SFAS Question regarding 2000 Jimmy 4x4 - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2003, 02:22 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

SFAS Question regarding 2000 Jimmy 4x4

Ok, this is what i want to do.

33" Tires.
15x7 AR-767 Rims (5" backspacing), should i go with 4" to set it out a little more? or would that be too much?

i dont want to go bigger than 33" tires. I want to put a D30 up there. what the hell is a D30? as opposed to a D44? ok the D44 is stronger, the D30 can handle 33"s...fine, but what is the difference? is it just where the drive shaft goes into the pumpkin? the size of the spline or something? how do we make our S-10 transfer case give power to the front Diff? what drive shaft? a YJ one, or the existing one? is it just a matter of bolting up the new U-Joints to the stuff, do we have to chop or lengthen the drive shaft?

i just found an 87 YJ front axle assembly here in town for $400 CDN. but that doesnt come with any of the steering components...i wonder how much all of that stuff will run me...prolly another $400 or so eh?

where do the leafs bolt up to? i saw someone that had a Gen1 Jimmy, made their own brackets to hold the leafs...was it you Grizz Axxemann? anyways...just how much of the old suspension has to be torched off? cant it just be unbolted or left there? and how much welding is necessary? i dont have a problem with welding, or torching...i do it a lot at work on the equipment we manufacture actually.....but anyways, yeah so there are all of y questions wrapped up into one post after days of reading through these informative posts on here. you guys are all awesome with how you help each other out...i think i will be staying on this board for a long time...like it or not! [img]images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] thanks again guys! (and gals..GMGurl)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2003, 08:05 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Re: SFAS Question regarding 2000 Jimmy 4x4

I'm gonna make this post short, sweet and VERY simple.

Check out S10Extremist.org and look in the FAQ section for a picture of a front leaf spring hanger crossmember. Check the suspension swap forum for all the other SFA related goodies, and READ EVERYTHING.

Look to spend a grand or two on the swap. Oh yeah, all the IFS parts have to be hacked off, the front framerails have to boxed for strength, and the IFS crossmember has to be clearanced big time.
post #3 of (permalink) Old 03-30-2003, 09:22 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

i have been all over that message board, im using the same nick over there...i have read stuff for the past two days on the net, and contacted a few people...my fiance has let me know how much time i have been spending researching this...hahaha, anyways, the front frame rails have to be boxed? im not quite sure what you mean there....is it open in one side? like a C shape? and what do you mean about the IFS being "clearanced"? doesnt a lot of it get unbolted and hacked off?

im still looking for a better diagram of the front crossmember to build it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 10:40 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Heres some shots of the crossmember...

Of coarse, the spacing between the two perches will vary based on the center to center measurement of the axle your using...

Heres another design....
Pdaddy's Design
[EDIT] [center brace] </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
I dont recall exactly but I think its 1.75 .120 wall tube

[/ QUOTE ]

post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2003, 01:31 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Waitaminit... I've seen those pictures before... that upper crossmember pic is off the "Turd" isn't it?
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-06-2003, 01:03 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

Steve!, AWESOME man! thanks a lot! im actually in the process of having the second design drawn up on AutoCAD by the designers at my work....and after that, my boss is going to fabreicate it up for me. i just have to go measure and make sure that the bolt up holes are the same for my 2000, as they are on the First Generation trucks. thanks so much for posting those for me!!!

MSN = [email protected] (anyone feel free to add me to your list)
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 12:50 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

[img]images/graemlins/RockOn.gif[/img] Thats great Craig, good luck on the swap!

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Waitaminit... I've seen those pictures before... that upper crossmember pic is off the "Turd" isn't it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I think so.
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 06:05 PM
Addict

the first design is far superior th the second ...... I'd say at least ten times as strong .... should have some sort of fore aft gusseting though
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 03:19 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

The second design (and pictures) are mine, LOL I havent seen those pictures in like 2 years thats hilarious someone had em. Anyway its not solid stock in the center, I dont recall exactly but I think its 1.75 .120 wall tube. like I said been on the truck a few years and I wheel it alot (not my DD anymore) I just put a set of fullsize axles under it. Its never presented any problem for me or bent/flexed. The first design is definantly stronger,heavier.
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 04:14 PM
Addict

Yeah well for the record I didn't say it was a bad design ..... it obviously works and I'd say it would be quite a bit easier to build
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode