CPI V8??? - Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups
GM Small Trucks & SUV's All discussion of S-Class Trucks and SUV's

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of (permalink) Old 03-29-2003, 01:15 PM Thread Starter
Addict

CPI V8???

I already know that by changing the prom in a TBI system it can be used on a V8. The question is if a CPI system will work with a V8 and if so what do I need to do? Any help is greatly apreciated
Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Addict

Re: CPI V8???

I've discovered that the comp from my V-8 tbi sub plugs right in but haven't had a chance to see if the comp is the same part yet or not ..... I now suspect that "cpi " was just an advertising ploy to make it sound like gm came out with a new induction system but not sure yet ......
post #3 of (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 11:27 PM
**DONOTDELETE**

cpi stands for central port injection. GM first started using it in i think '94 or '93. im pretty sure it wasnt just an advertising ploy as there were increases in hp with the new set-up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 03:05 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

Actually, CPI was found on 95 or 96 to 2001 S-series. It's also known as CMFI (Central Multi-Port FI) basically it's just a glorified TBI with a jazzed up intake manifold. the most recent S-series trucks run SFI (Sequential FI)
post #5 of (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Addict

according to my haynes manual s blazers got cfi or central port fuel injection in 90 while pickups still had tbi .... cmfi may be a later step
post #6 of (permalink) Old 04-03-2003, 01:27 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

my buddy Paul has a 92 4 door and last time I was under the hood, it was a TBI. I'll double check this weekend when I go over to his place though.
post #7 of (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Addict

that's what I'm getting at ..... the window stickers said cpi but my throttle body has tbi has tbi stamped on it
post #8 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2003, 08:43 PM

I don't know about the V8's but the 4.3's had the CPI option for Blazers in 90 or 91. I'm pretty sure they were making Blazers with TBI and CPI for awhile and in 94 or 95 they went to all CPI. It starts to get tricky because I believe they were putting CPI in the 4wd Blazers and TBI in the 2wd Blazers. Trucks all had TBI until 199? ... dunno but they were not offered with CPI until several years after the Blazers had them (except in some special packages).

To tell if it has TBI injection it will have a round air cleaner sitting on top with a round air filter. The CPI's will have a spider-looking top with an air hose going to the front driver side. There is the air box with a rectangular air filter.

A big difference between TBI and CPI is the heads. The CPI has Vortec heads that flow better than the TBI heads and that leads to better horsepower at a little higher in the RPM. Probably some other differences but cannot think of them right now.

Does anyone know what engine the Typhoon/Cyclone had? I always thought it was a CPI but Iíve never known for sure.
post #9 of (permalink) Old 04-09-2003, 09:47 PM Thread Starter
Addict

It's a 90 S-blazer and acording to my manual it is cpi ....Today i got it running with a V-8 TBI sooooo either the manual is wrong or gm lied to me ......either way I'm happy I have 42" swamper and 3/4 ton straight axles with "factory" V-8 cruise air tilt power locks and windows etc ..... really coming along ....should be finished in another 15 or 20 years lol
post #10 of (permalink) Old 04-10-2003, 12:39 AM
**DONOTDELETE**

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Does anyone know what engine the Typhoon/Cyclone had? I always thought it was a CPI but Iíve never known for sure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sy/Ty's ran an MFI Turbo setup. Cast iron front chunk, modified front driveshaft (apparently said SyTy guys call it a propshaft for some reason) and an AWD T-case.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Off-Road Forums & Discussion Groups forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode